Me and some friends are spending three months on snow next season. The alternatives we have right now are Canada or Japan. Since this a Japan forum lets concentrate on Japan for now.

We are looking for challenging terrain combined with powder, we spent the 2006 winter in Whistler and loved the terrain there.

The two resorts we looked into in Japan are Niseko and Hakuba. What we have heard Niseko has great snow but lacking steep terrain.

How about Hakuba, is there enough fun terrain for three months of skiing? Is the backcountry easy accessible? We're planning to take touring gear with us.

How much do we have to be prepared to pay for accommodation? Nothing fancy needed but we do need to be able to cook our own food.

/

contender

3 months?! Lucky you! wave.gif

If I had 3 months there is no doubt I would choose "Nagano" as the destination, and I'm not just saying that because I live in Nagano!

In 3 months you can come to learn and love Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa and tons of other places all within an hour or two of each other.

Public transportation yes, and very efficient too. Once you have finished with the Shinkansen to get to Nagano, not really expensive either.

Season pass for them all - we would all like one of those, unfortunately no.

contender.

Ever heard of the words "please" and "thank you".

They might get you further. Just a thought.

no worries. i would say hakuba would be your best bet. there are lots of places that rent rooms long term, and plenty of lift accessible backcountry. all the resorts in hakuba are seperate, and 47 and happone are the main resorts there. that's probably a good place to start your search. there are plenty of folks on here who know shedloads about this area, i'm sure they will help answer some specific questions.

good luck!

If I had 3 months I'm sure want to move around.

It seems a waste to come for so long and not visit more than one region. I might spend on month in Nagano, one month doing a bit of Tohoku (though the places there are more spread out) and a month up in Hokkaido (I heard there are some decent places there).