So if this place is closed, is there anything stopping people just hiking up the mountain on their own accord? Not that I plan on doing that anyway, was just thinking....

• 10 months later...

It has been nearly 2 years since they filed for bankrupcy... someone took over so you'd think they were at least keeping it ticking over in terms of maintenance.

The best day i had last year was at Myoko. I think it was Christmas, either that or New Years. I would say over half a metre fell in fell in Suginosawa village and more on the hill.

Doesnt sound that impressive but you put half a metre over the roads and things stop moving pretty fast. I had to do a good 2 hours of digging to get to the resort.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the locals I talked to hadn't heard anything recently either. Not a good sign. This time last year there was a rumour that someone was going to take it on but it all came to nought. A real pity. Still, I think it was the right idea - just in the wrong place. Nozawa, Shiga, Hakuba or Akakura would have been better.

Originally Posted By: Sara T
Some of the locals I talked to hadn't heard anything recently either. Not a good sign. This time last year there was a rumour that someone was going to take it on but it all came to nought. A real pity. Still, I think it was the right idea - just in the wrong place. Nozawa, Shiga, Hakuba or Akakura would have been better.

what do you mean Sara? I have no idea about Arai, what was it like?

Arai had these things going for it:

- really great spa

- very good/great hotel

- really good italian restaurant

- fairly handy from Tokyo, certainly no further than the other Nagano resorts

- very sensible off piste policy and with steepish ungroomed terrain which on a good day could be as good as any inbound terrain in Japan

-nice onsen

- very professional guest service set up, very professionally run place

Arai had these things against it:

- bloody expensive hotel

- dreadful resort layout and geography which meant there were only a couple of decent lifts and one very long gondola ride, lots of very dangerous out of bounds terrain and many of the groomers were ridge line runs

- very limited beginner and lower intermediate runs

-dreadfully exposed to high winds and bad weather so there was a better than even chance of a white out or the top being closed when you visit

In short - a good idea poorly executed. Had the hotel and spa complex been located in Hakuba or some other place that offered a better snow experience it might have done quite a bit better. I went there for perhaps 3 or 4 weekends and had white outs most of the time but on the one day it all came together with 50cm of fresh snow and clear skies, it was as good as anything I've experienced in Japan over 7 yrs and 20 odd resorts

I have a special fondness for Arai. It was at Arai after a particularlly good day where I managed a couple of high speed non-painful rag-dolls through deep and steep snow that I understood what it was to have a good day on the snow.