I presume that the start of rainy season is decided by some conditions being met. What are those? I read somewhere that you can enter rainy season but it not actually be raining when that happens.

It's all very confusing for someone from foggy London.

It's down to the calendar. Of course the weather doesn't neccesarily read the instructions. The rainy season is followed by the typhoon season. That's when it can get really wet.

I'll check with soubriquette tonight for better information.

It's actually closely related to when the monsoon fronts start over the Indian subcontinent. When the fronts start pushing their way up from the south and gradually come across higher and higher over Japan, that is when the rainy season officially hits the regions moving northward.

I'm pretty sure they wait till certain conditions are met Soub, before declaring it started. But seeing as with everything else season-related, they do go by the calendar dates, you could well be right!

In Miyagi, it seems like the older generation, without fail, says "middle of June" while the younger generation says it's started now because it's quite humid and rainy.

I agree with Soub - in Miyagi at least it's by the calendar, for the traditionalists anyway. Similar to the national turning on and off of heaters and air conditioners possibly?

It's obviously not just by the calendar because on the news they talk about "oh we haven't entered rainy season yet, it's late this year" and the like. What conditions are though, I don't know. I don't like it though, I know that!

Hmmmm...I don't have a TV so don't watch the news. But I agree - I don't like it...I don't mind the light showers and the mist in the mountains, but I definitely don't like the buckets and buckets of rain and the mold in my cupboards!

Yep, on the news they keep a pretty close eye on what fronts are hitting where, and then make the call based on that. This year they have said numerous times that the start of the rainy season will be later than usual. They do the same with the cherry blossoms. It isn't calendar set. But perhaps older people remember times when it was much more consistent and so could almost be said to be at exact times...

Did it rain down there during rainy season. Seems very dry. With that and relative lack of snow in winter it's no wonder there looks like there will be an increasing shortage of water.

A long time ago, when weather systems were relatively normal and consistant, the monsoons and rainy seasons probably were relaiable to the within a few days.

Nowadays they aren't, so they go by the weather forcast. I believe he rainy season starts when the jet stream is pushed above Japan, bringing the rainy weather. Thats why its starts in the south and moves northward (so i've been told).

Meteorological Agency admits error over start of rainy season in Kanto This should show that it is not fixed...

Quote:
If the agency officially corrects the date when the rainy season began in the Kanto area, it will likely break the record of the latest start to the rainy season. The latest record currently stands at June 22 in 1967.

Experts say it is difficult to judge whether the rain season has started.

"The high-pressure system north of the rain front remains strong, preventing the front from moving north. As a result, fair weather has continued. It's difficult to clearly determine the day when the rainy season starts," said Masaru Kida, a weather forecaster for Weather News.

"As a high-pressure system south of the front is now growing stronger, I guess that the full-scale rainy season will start sometime around next weekend," he said. (Mainichi)