The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, in Nigeria to promote education through football, has been given the title of Chief Fiwagboola - which means 'character maketh wealth' by King Akiolu in Lagos

lol

Quote:
Nobody has come close since Cantona"
-- what about giggs?

Absolutely.

Also, Ole:

The Manchester United number 20 shirt will now always be associated with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after 11 fantastic years, with six league championships, two FA Cups' and that legendary Champions League. He was a truly great servant to the club and a model professional. Incredibly loyal to his manager and club when other players would have sought a money spinning transfer, he was also prepared speak up for the fans. Solskjaer was the sort of player that is rare indeed in the modern game.

And who would deny Paul Scholes the Legend status.

Of course Giggy and Scoles are still going so not yet officially there yet.

Great game to watch, Holland are looking red hot (or is that bright orange?)

My mate over on a United forum posted this about CR and Legend status and I agree:

Quote:
C. Ronaldo is NOT a United legend. Yes he is a fantastically talented player who just had one of the best seasons I've seen in a United shirt. And yes we have just won the league again, and the CL, and he is "BPITW" (best player in the world).

But he despite all these achievements he hasn't become part of the fabric of United. Now this isn't about how long you play here or what you win, it's about whether or not you add something to the soul of the club, not just the trophy cabinet.

In terms of legendary status Cantona and Ronaldo aren't even in the same league. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye listening to Eric say that till the day he dies United will be in his heart and see the glint in his eye when talks about our club.

And I hate to say it but Beckham and (potentially, let's wait and see) Ronaldo epitomise many of the reasons that Cantona retired when he did, and lost his love for the game.

I don't want him to get a United tattoo on his arm or say that he'll never leave, I just want him to show some respect to the club and the fans. If he goes, I don't really care. If he stays I'll be chuffed. Life goes on and I support United not Ronaldo.

You've not heard about Michael Carrick then!

I reckon the three best from ManYoo during the Premiership era would be Royston, Schmeichel, and Ronaldo. Ronaldo's now on a level reached by only Shearer at Blackburn and Henry. If he keeps developing, he'll eclipse both.