The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

Great piece on Norman Whiteside here:

"He had self-assurance that was remarkable in a 21-year-old. The excellence of his technique was an island of composure, looking up and unhurriedly making his decisions. He rarely surrendered possession and increased the angle and weight of his passes so well that the receiver never had to fight the ball. His eyes were as cold as steel and he displayed the temperament to match. As a player he was close to the genius category.

Alex Ferguson describing goalscorer Norman Whiteside's display in Manchester United's 1-0 victory against Liverpool at Anfield on Dec 26, 1986. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jh...0/sfnphi130.xml

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 players dead in 10 days:

Football was last night mourning the death of a third player in the space of 10 days after Chaswe Nsofwa, a former Zambia international, collapsed and died of heart failure during a training session with his Israeli club side, Hapoel Beersheba. The tragedy came less than 24 hours after Clive Clarke, the Leicester City player on loan from Sunderland, suffered a heart attack during Tuesday's League Cup tie at Nottingham Forest. Clarke was recovering in hospital yesterday.

On Tuesday afternoon the Spanish side Sevilla said their left-back, Antonio Puerta, had died after suffering "five cardio-respiratory stoppages". Little more than a week earlier Walsall's 16-year-old youth-team player Anton Reid inexplicably collapsed on the training ground and died. It is unprecedented that the sport should lose three players in such a short period and it prompted a demand that compulsory heart screening be brought in for all professional players in Britain.

Andy Scott, whose 13-year career was ended by heart problems, called on the Football Association and Professional Footballers' Association to introduce mandatory cardiac testing for all players.

"There is clearly no reason why a young person should die when they are in the prime of their career," said Scott, Brentford's assistant manager. "It's complete ignorance that this has not been taken further. This is an ideal opportunity now to make it compulsory for all players to be screened. How many times is it going to have to happen? Everyone knows it's going on but it's getting someone at the top to get off their backsides." The FA described such a move as a "strategic decision for the whole game". No one at the PFA could be contacted last night.

Nsofwa, a 27-year-old striker, was training in temperatures approaching 40C when he collapsed. Rescue workers spent several minutes trying to restart his heart before paramedics arrived. Attempts to revive Nsofwa, including using an external pacemaker, proved unsuccessful and the player was pronounced dead when he arrived at Soroka hospital.

England rocked by Beckham injury

England have suffered a major injury scare ahead of September's Euro 2008 qualifiers after David Beckham hurt his knee playing for LA Galaxy.

Beckham, 32, was taken off during the Superliga final with Pachuca after twisting his knee in a block tackle.

"At this stage it's hard to tell, but it doesn't feel good," said Beckham.

-----------------

England will be calling up my brothers son soon for the next games. He plays for Wigan Juniors. lol.gif

CL Groups:

Group A

LIVERPOOL

Porto

Marseille

Besiktas

Group B

CHELSEA

Valencia

Schalke 04

Rosenborg

Group C

REAL MADRID

Werder Bremen

Lazio

Olympiakos

Group D

AC MILAN

Benfica

Celtic

Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

BARCELONA

Lyon

Stuttgart

Rangers

Group F

MANCHESTER UNITED

Roma

Sporting Lisbon

Dynamo Kiev

Group G

INTER MILAN

PSV Eindhoven

CSKA Moscow

Fenerbahce

Group H

ARSENAL

Sevilla/AEK Athens

Steau Bucharest

Slavia Prague

Great. The United game tomorrow is only on Setanta (not Sky) in the UK and so I thought that we wouldn't get those games either.... but it is on!!! clap.gif Excellent.

Good news, I was wondering that myself. UK is split now between Sky and Setanta - though Sky have most of the "bigger games", if you want all the games on offer you need both. Glad to hear that we don't miss out because of that here. \:\)

Lets hope he doesn't eat too many pies in the next year. According to the Mail today (so it MUST be true):

Ronaldinho, the Brazilian superstar, has agreed to join Chelsea — but not until the start of next season.

He spent yesterday afternoon with his agent brother, Roberto de Assis Moreira, in talks with Barcelona president Joan Laporta in a desperate attempt to secure an immediate move to Stamford Bridge.

But a lack of time ahead of last night's closure of the transfer window denied Chelsea and the Catalan club the chance to reach an agreement and the 27-year-old double World Player of the Year will now make the switch next July. As Sportsmail revealed on Monday, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich spent last weekend in talks with Moreira in an audacious bid to bring the World Cup and Champions League winner to the Premier League.

But during informal discussions the two clubs were unable to agree a fee, Chelsea valuing the player at around 70million euros (£47.5million), but Barcelona demanding nearer 100m euros (£66m).

Yes you really tore Derby apart. It will be interesting to see how they fare against the other title contenders.

On the form we are in, it will be another tight 1-0! The first half last night against Sunderland was pretty distressing and painful to watch. When we put Saha on (a striker!) things changed a bit, but the team is looking strangely..... strange right now. \:\(

Tubby Beaver, interesting we were talking about Brown. The last two games he HAD been especially poor. On his current form he doesn't deserve the place. O'Shea would be better in the position. Please come back Gary Neville! Oh yes, and Rooney and Ronaldo.

Yeah, well lets not open that can of worms again!! ;\) How was craig Gordon? i read that he made some great stops but he flapped at the goal, came for the cross and missed it. Shame because from when I've seen him in the past 2 games he has played well.

The Sunderland keeper - he was good apart from the goal I suppose. Apparently he was really expensive right? The rest of the team though didn't seem interested in scoring. It seems that it's "park the bus in front of the goal" time when people play United this season.

Special mention to Owen Hargreaves who has been really solid and Evra who was the best in the team last night. He looks like he wants to win.

Graig Gordon is the most expensive British goalkeeper, he cost 9 million pounds from Hearts. He is currently Scotland's No1 and is a very good goalkeeper.

I'm interested in how Man U are gonna play this year because I think Hargreaves and Carrick are of a similar ilk. They are being played together just now but I think that thi stifles Man U's natural forward urges, time will tell tho.

Interesting:

"The Ministry of Culture, Media and Sport has told the Football Supporters' Federation it is considering its report into the re-introduction of terracing (Observer)."

Liverpool looking good.