What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: anti-samson

>>> Japan!

An interesting way to look at it. Normally Japan provokes people to go to temples, study the lingo or drink too much.

JTB.

No kidding. They turned up at my best mates school and started spamming everyone with their winter holiday stuff. We were supposed to go to Korea for the february bank holiday and she said "hey ipps, wanna go snowboarding instead? these guys just came to my school..."

Mulled over why in my 32 years on planet earth, and my two and a half years in japan the thought had never even crossed my mind and immediately said "hells yeah i do!"

Then found out about yeti, went there a few weeks before the big trip (just to see what it was about), and spent the entire day falling on my ass with the other 1000 or so people on that teeny tiny run.

Anyway, the day i started at togari i realised "this is freaking awesome! WHAT A FOOL!!! WHAT A FOOL IVE BEEN!!!"

After that, the stoke started wearing off on all my mates, and by march it was really just me who really loved it. :( So spent the easter vacation in hakuba on my own having a freaking blast! In all, got around 8 days in that season. (oops! totally forgot about the trip to happo1 - powder heaven!!! so make that ten days)

And then instead of fleeing back to the UK like i said i would, decided to move to nagano. smile Got a season pass on myoko... spent about 17 days tops but it was kinda lonely in suzaka and i hated my crappy wage, so at the end of march came back. Couldnt stand the UK though, and couldnt get a job without a visa in japan, so moved to korea... actually screw it, might as well finish the whole sordid tale...

so spent a few days on muju, and my winter vacation in hakuba, nozawa, zao, hamamatsu, tokyo, fukuoka, and hokkaido. Probably got about 15-20 days in last season.

I reckon im on around day 43ish. Judging by the fact i met people on day 120 in feb last year of THAT season, i'd say that makes me an advanced beginner in the grand scheme of things. Just starting to move out of the resort and edging towards backcountry.

Still stoked, and really really keen to get in the pipe this year as well as getting some nice air and pow smile Oh, and want to hit a cliff drop somewhere. Nothing too big, but only landed one 6 footer last year and that's cause it was whiteout and couldnt speed check before i hit it smile The rest id get to the drop literally stop, peak over (telling myself that it might be dangerous) really slowly and inevitably flump.

Ah well, this year i have compadres in korea to go boarding with, so it'll make muju bearable even if they cant come to japan with me smile

So may even get past 20 days this season, touch wood.

I also talk a way better game than i play. smile Still cant do a frontside 180 and barely scraped a backside last year. Cant take off from switch on a jump either. But did hit a medium sized kicker last year (the ones that random people clap when you land) so definitely lots of progression to be happy about. Also LOVED properly bombing tree runs in niseko last season. Along with the 3 big airs (for me), the trees and outside the top gates of niseko were the highlight of the season. Definitely keen to do some avi training this year (ill probably take a course somewhere) and starting to make that little dream a reality. I reckon this season is where i start getting some of the foundations and recovery skills ill be needing for that now that my general riding feels relatively safe.

There. The life story was free! smile

Nice one !

When I did skydiving, I thought that was the best thing that happened to me. But it was like life in 60 seconds. (meaning it's short lived in many ways)

I really like being high up. I like running downhill. Sliding is better.

Snowboard is the dope. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: anti-samson

>>> Japan!

An interesting way to look at it. Normally Japan provokes people to go to temples, study the lingo or drink too much.

Japan has only ever really been about the snow for me. No interest whatsoever in the lingo or temples or any of that cultural stuff. Do enjoy nomi hodai though!! clap
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Parents took me to Whistler that was my first time.

Coming to Japan is a great chance to take it up again being so close but I chose snowboard as the guy before me had a board and I inherited it!