What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started when I first came to Japan about 10 years ago. I was in fukushima and with so much snow around you have no choice really but to try. Before coming I'd never really considered skiing. Mad into it now.

• 1 month later...

parents are both keen travellers and keen skiiers, first skiing trip was at a very young age in austria, been to numerous places since learning bits along the way. my favourite place so far has been whistler, but january in japan (first time in japan) is my first O/S ski trip that I have organised where it's just friends. high expectations! even bought my own gear!

• 2 weeks later...

GF was in to skiing, so I headed to Thredbo and took some lessons from a really nice instructor... i've loved it ever since! Now I can't wait to get to Japan every December and enjoy a White Christmas!

Learning to ski when I was 22 was a problem though... you already have that inner fear of falling over, and are just too tall and heavy for the snow plough to really save you... good thing I can parallel turn now, if only I had the courage to ski something other than runs off the magic carpet smile

My brother went on a ski trip for school. He loved it and said it was fairly easy to learn. As I feel I am better than my brother in everyway I need to learn and beat him. lol.

Also mainly cause I'm a skateboarder and windsurfer and I've never tried snowboarding...it looks like a shed load of fun!

I tried skiing and at the end of the first lesson, had achieved nothing. Next I tried snowboarding and was up and going in about 15 minutes.

I also found that having both feet strapped to the same plank was so much better for my groin than being strapped to 2 planks (which, according to Murphy's Law, will always head in different directions!!)