What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was actually the football (soccer). My Brother and I had been saying that we wanted go snowboarding for ages, but another year went by and we still hadn't gone, then when we learnt that the world cup was going to be in Germany, we were going to go, but by the time we had learnt and started saving it was too late, most of the tickets were sold and we had left it too late to save enough. So we put the foot down, booked a trip to perisher and that was it....

Even though both my brother and I smashed ourselves pretty good and didn't enjoy the australian "snow" (its more like shaved ice), we wanted to go again, and started saving to go to Japan...

I started surfing over 30 years ago and prior to coming to Japan lived in mostly tropical and sub-tropical places. Thus little access to snow. After moving here 11 years ago it was a natural transition to to take up snowboarding. For my first experience I was invited by a group of friends to Iwappara. One of my friends was an instructor and spent the morning giving me a private lesson. By mid-morning I was quite surprised that I starting to catch on so quickly. By afternoon my legs stiffened up and I regressed the rest of the day. That was a bit disheartening, but nevertheless I stuck with it and have been hooked ever since.

Always thought it looked like fun but never got the start but last season my Japanese friends were planning a day out in Gunma and took me along which made starting easy. Loved it right from the beginning.