What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry! Yes - that is what I meant...snowboard boots are comfortable - especially with my Boa's - I just love being able to let the tension off on the lift and then a few quick turns and you are ready to ride again! Gotta love that - I always feel for the skiers when they have to walk around in thier boots!!! Especially the kids.

Yeah, but at least we spend a lot less time on our @r$e on slope, though.

My +1 did a scaphoid a few years back, it was described as "boarder's break" - most commonly because the boarders tend to fall with palm to snow (unless taught better habits) rather than with the fist.

Anyway, let's not get into a slanging match, each to their own. Hey!

No slanging match on my side JA...I just feel for the kids who are teary coz thier feet hurt! Being a Mum I tend to notice these things, and being someone who has quite sensitive feet I also notice comfort factors in shoes/boots.

However I MUST invest in some wrist guards before I head up to the ICE slopes of Aus this July because a Sign Language Interpreter with a broken wrist is pretty much bl**dy useless!! LOL

Good for a laugh, though! "OOps, my wrist was not meant to say that!"

Better still, learn to punch the snow when ya fall rather than put the flat of your palm down first. That was the advice from the radiographer at Jindabyne, anyway.

LOL - The Jindabyne Radiographer was being a bit optomistic! I tend not to fall on the open palm, but have you ever fallen onto ice with a clenched fist? Ever punched a fellow hard on the jaw? Ummmm similar kind of result. I would prefer ... neither! Prolly why I am just happy to ride top to bottom and stay out of the park, LOL!

I am a bit more careful than most because while I value my record of nil bone breaks in my life (apart from the surgeon inflicted break in my jaw while under anaesthetic) - I DO have a blood clotting disorder which leads me to bleed freely and bruise heavily. No radical stuff for me! This is also why I like the POWDER in Niseko - a soft place to fall leads to a bit more risk taking!

Understand where you are coming from, Mama.

Falling on ice ain't fun, no matter what you've been riding. I think the radiographer was saying use the fist rather than the palm. It is better suited to absorb the impact (whether nice soft pow or Oz ice or anything between);\)

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
That is a fantastic story JA, glad you are hooked mate!

Can't believe you are already booked!!! Dedication plus, wave

Accom booked, flights booked and paid for, travel insurance bought and paid for! What?? Only May?? Hurry up January! coolmirrors
Originally Posted By: Molochan
I am hoping go to Zermatt next winter.

All the way from Yamanashi to visit Zermatt? Can you not get Fondue in Zao?

I went to Switzerland in the summer about 6 years ago. I thought it was a fantastic place, probably the place I have enjoyed visiting most. Absolutely beautiful place.