What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wrong! I have a dream of still sliding in 30 years time (by which time I will be pushing 90!) and having skied in Europe, North America, South America and lots of other places in Japan.

Why the fascination with Japan? I find the people an absolute joy! They are pleasant, easy to get along with, helpful to us gaijin, and (of course) they have the best snow I have ever seen. (OK, I have limited experience, but it is damn good!)

Nozawa Onsen Jan 2009, here we come!

Good choice.

I remember seeing a lady on the ski lift this season who must have been in her 80's. She had fairly new gear on and she could really ski pretty well. Great to see that, I hope I am in that shape.

I had skied a little in Aus and Canada and then we went on a 6 week skiing holiday to Canada. On landing in Banff there were ALOT of people walking around in knee braces, slings, arms in plaster etc and on talking to them found they were ALL from snowboarding accidents. I had decided that I was going to give snowboarding a try but on seeing all these injuries totally freaked out and decided to stick with what I sorta had a basis for as the thought of injury myself on a six week ski vacation was not on my itenary.

In hind sight I wish I had done the snowboarding as everyone I now go away with snowboards and I am about the only skier. I just feel now that when I arrive I want to get out there and go and not injury myself on the first day and spend the week in lessons.

VERY SLACK I KNOW.

I can understand that snowhunter.

We would all like to learn both in our family, but living a long way from snow it is hard to give up freedom and fun on the mountain to go back to beginner slopes and bruises to switch!

Either way!!

As a snowboarder I feel less inclined to injure myself doing that than skiing, but I think the reality is that you can do damage whatever you ride!

LOL - about as far as you can get!!

I am in Perth - nada for snowfall (unless you count the occassional dusting on a largish hill 8 hours away). So for me to get to snow in Oz it is at least a 5 hr flight, then a few hours drive to the closest (Thredbo), and for the others you are looking at a slightly longer flight again and an 8 hr bus trip/drive.

What we have done normally is fly Perth to Canberra, grab a hire car (or two if we take the family and gear), and then drive like mad to get to Cooma and have an overnighter in a motel unit. If we get up at daybreak we can get breakfast at Jindy, and be on the slopes soon after opening. Accomodation check in is normal somewhere after 12 before 4 pm (depending on where it is) so we do the check in either at lunch break or when we call it quits for the afternoon - depending on conditions and how tired we are.

So you can see how flying to Japan for snow does not phase us!!

bloody landowner threw us off his land, we were living in makeshift shelters with only nuts and berries to eat. Screw it, me old man said, and off we went and set some traps and poached like we'd never poached before.....man we ate well that night!

Originally Posted By: thursday.
well, the fried variety required a little more grease than the hair on Tubb's hair. So to hell with it, poached eggs it shall be.

u been smoking crack tonight?

Started skiing because lived in Germany for a while and the family I lived with were insistent that I should try skiiing - I was about 13 at the time and had NEVER done any kind of winter sports.

Tried it and loved it - except when I accidently went into the mogul park and fell over - pretty bad rolling down the hill and ended up dislocating my thumb.

Snowboarding was only chosen because the resort I stayed at didn't have ski-boots in my size - 30cms in Europe - you would have thought that they would have been easy to find. Never done it before - and the first day spent most of it on my arse. Almost gave up. Second day was turning and carving and really caught the hang of it.

SO yeah, both times both accidents and am grateful for it too.