What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on a ski trip with my mates to the ski rider at perisher on a bus.

Then i used to go on weekends in the kombi and stay at guthega.

After that it has been downhill ever since.

(get it, that was a skiing joke. muahahah)

Originally Posted By: ger
There was a very funny CBC newsclip from the 1980's about snowboarding (about the evils of it actually) on one of these threads. Anyone know where it is?

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDCC-1-41-1727-11917/sports/extreme_sports/

i love this clip..i think it was used in one of the boarding vids last year...cant remember which one tho...forum maybe?

i skied like twice..once when i was 7 again at 11 or 12 then xc one time at 15..we lived 1200kms from snow so it was not really within reach, more beach trips... surfing, skating(lived near byron bay) etc then when I was in sydney in 1999 some mates were going (i had seen snowboarding on TV and thru playing the old coolboarders on playstation) and asked if i wanted in. 1 week of riding/learning/falling later i was hooked and that summer bought a 2nd hand(but practically new) board setup and some outerwear and next season did around 21 days camping in my wagon down at perisher and thredbo. never missed a year since, camping, bumming accom off friends, then got married and have made sure my wife got addicted too! she put up with a tough learning curve...never really done any snow stuff, even camped in jindy a few times since! we both absolutely love the snow and got to do a japan trip 2 years ago. now with a one year hiatus we cant wait to get back over there! Bring on 2008!!(then 2009..already in the works!)

mmmm from memory, it was something that came up in discussion over beers one night. I was about 24 and had never seen snow before. I made the mistake of mentioning that I was keen to try it out...... I stayed out drinking till about 4am. my mate started climbing through my window at 5am, kicking me out of bed and telling me to get my $hit together. after a 5 hour drive, I had sobered up enough to realise that we were heading to the snow fields.

I jumped on the board because I had been an avid skateboarder during my early years. it took me a while to get the hang of it, but now that I am comfortable, I don't think I can ride anything else - except maybe a surfboard...

noice.

Originally Posted By: tmc_girls
I can't remember when I didn't ski...My father who is an ex pro skier put me on sticks and a leash when I was 2...the leash was soo fun!!

thats cool...did you ever take a year off to chill...a couple of my friends had chances to be pro football players but basically burned out at around 17..crucial age for development
  • 2 weeks later...

was a skateboard fanatic always 'studying' the videos and how the pros did it. saw a snowboarding vid, and was entranced by the huge airs and the speed that they could get. seemed a natural progression to me so i saved up and moved closer to some decent snow.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really have a choice, I grew up with snow all around; well some of the time. It wasn't until '94 (I stopped skiing) and my younger bro's were boarding that they convinced me to 'just try it once' that I did. I've skied once since, Xmas 2005, and will probably never ski again. I just love the thrill that boarding gives, of riding powder, and riding with friends.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was born and grew up in Iwate and so we I went skiing quite early when I was 6 I think. Then we moved to Tokyo and I didn't for a while but when I went to high school went to Nagano a few times and since then I go every winter.

My GF at the time ( now life partner) decided that I needed a challenge at age 49. After 3 years of babysitting her dogs while she went skiing, I was eventually convinced to do the trip to Jindabyne for a weekend.

Left Tamworth (NSW, Oz) Thursday evening, arrived at Jindy am Friday, got kitted out with hire gear and then onto the slopes. Skiing was all that was offered - all the group of about 16 were long time skiers and no boarders.

Since then I have travelled to NZ (once) and Japan 3 times so far), both good! We are so keen on Japan that we are now trying to learn Nihongo so we can converse a bit more with the locals. Accom booked for next January already!