What Provoked you to start Skiing or Snowboarding?

My bro was a ski and board instructor, he went to Tahoe 1 year on holiday and bought a couple of boards (The US is way cheaper then the UK), i saw a couple of films on TV with snowboarders thot it looked cool and I wanted a piece of it. Convinced him to take me and a couple mates up the mountains where he gave us some pointers and let us get on with it!! Awesome, I love boarding, I'm still not that good but I can get down the mountain without falling....usually!!

Last year i learned to ski as part of my job, which was pretty cool. Skiing is fun but I prefer boarding. Also had a try with snowblades, good fun but couldn't do it all day

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always seemed like a luxurious (for want of a better word) sport and more than that looked like fun. So I wanted to give it a go, and my family took me on a ski holiday to Banff. Loved it straight away. (How can you not??!)

I was provoked by a skiing vid I saw. Can't remember the name now but it looked incredible. At first I thought I would be skiing but when I went my friends were boarders and so I tried that (free lessons!) so that's how I ended up snowboarding.

I always thought it looked fun but my family never took me (ahhh), but when I was at college I went and had a lousy first time out. Things improved second time though and I started to really enjoy it.

I started at age 14, that's 22 years ago now (god I'm getting old). I started alpine skiing with school but did a couple of days XC and gave telemarking a go and was hooked. For the next 10 years or so I mainly skied backcountry in Victoria and numerous trips up to the Main Range in NSW. As I got older and fatter and less fit I started skiing more and more at resorts again but I still love getting backcountry. The changes in Tele gear have been amazing over the years and now I spend my winters tele'ing the powder at Niseko.

I didn't have a choice, my Dad had me on skis when i was 2 or 3.

And i grew to love it, i started in the downhill racing school at my local hill when i was about 12 or 13.

Around the same time, snowboarding was starting to pop up in Warren Miller movies, and looked kinda fun. But i was pretty much dedicated to skiing, so i didn't pay much attention to it.

Until Christmas, my Dad came to pick my bro and i up from the hill one day in the holidays. We had been waiting for him, and were a little pissed because he was pretty late.

He pulled up, and pulled out a snowboard from the back of the truk, and told us that it was our Christmas gift, and to give it a go.

So for about 30 painful minutes, we fell down the bunny hill in our felt sorels trying to figure out what to do, since there was no snowboard school at our hill, and i'm not sure i have even seen a real snowboarder before that.

Well, that was not too much fun, but the next time i tried was at a hill called Fernie. It had just snowed a little, and i managed to turn a little in the chopped powder. I was sold, it was way funner that skiing, and felt so much freer without the poles and 2 seperate planks. I was in love, and it pretty much continued like that for the next 17 ywinters or so.

Until 2 years ago, i was an instructor in Whistler. I had been thinking a while about snowboarding, sk8boarding, and surfing. I was wanting to explore bindingless riding, and heard about noboarding.

i gerry-rigged my own noboard (its just a snowboard with a big stomp pad and bungee cord on it. You hold onto the bungee cord, and surf powder, not groomed runs) by tying 4 bootlaces to my collapsed bindings, and took a run in an area called Flute Bowl.

There was about 20 cm of powder, and it was perfect, i had never experienced such a thrill snowboarding before, and decided that that is what i want to pursue.

So its still changing, i guess.

Winning a holiday in Whistler sounds good.

I went skiing with a bunch of friends when I was 17 and that was how I started. To be honest I wasn't mad keen at first but I was soon converted.

I always wanted to ski from when I first saw it. It looked looked like a lot of fun. So I was out there as soon as I had enough cash when I was at college with a few mates.

• 3 weeks later...