• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of cloudy looking humid weather early on this morning  

High of 26 forecast for today, after a cool overnight. I like that.

It all melted?!?     Clear here too.

And... started again! wink

Friend of mine in Nagaoka sent me a photo of the snow in Koide / Kawaguchi... way more than we have here in Muikamachi and Yuzawa I'd say. So looks like up until now it is satoyuki we've had. Hopefully from now on it'll be the MOUNTAIN variety. Such a waste lots of snow falling in places where there's no mountains!

• SnowJapan Admin

Just updated the Yuzawa Now report - Kagura is part closed this afternoon too. All I can say is... bring on the heavy snow!

Have a fun new years eve everyone

I reckon if a few frosty flakes fell on Perth EVER - the entire place would shut down.

It amazes me when you fly into Sapporo and land on a white runway, that everything goes smoothly, the bus leaves on time, and without incident you arrive a few hours later at the anticipated time at your accommodation - with the perfectly shoveled entrance to the door.

I suppose anything is possible when you know what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I reckon if a few frosty flakes fell on Perth EVER - the entire place would shut down.

It amazes me when you fly into Sapporo and land on a white runway, that everything goes smoothly, the bus leaves on time, and without incident you arrive a few hours later at the anticipated time at your accommodation - with the perfectly shoveled entrance to the door.

I suppose anything is possible when you know what you are doing.

How true is this statement. I have landed in Chitose in a Blizzard ON TIME - Arrived at my Accomodation at midnight in puking snow to smiling staff ON TIME. Yet in London they get 40cm overnight and the whole country comes to a complete stand still!

It's a culture thing!

Japan - trains run on time (to the second)

Australia - trains run sometimes. Sydney trains are defined as "on time" if they are within 5 minutes of the advertised time. AND, if they are running outside that time, they cancell the service - makes the on-time stats look better!

it seems the experience of others with Japanese service at/and Chitose is a little different to ours.

Last year we got turned back from Chitose 10 minutes out because of snow. We held in pattern for an hour before being sent to Haneda (we had come from Narita having connected with our flight from Aus that day). the Narita-Chitose flight ended up taking 3.5 hours and landed us at Haneda. We had 6 adults and 6 young kids (4 months to 5 years) so we were pretty tired when we got to Haneda at 11pm. To the credit of JAL they put us up in good accomodation and scheduled a new flight to get our whole planeload of people from the night before up to Chitose by 8am. That all wen smoothly thankfully and we were tankful to Jal. Afterall you cant help the weather.

The real disgrace was the "service" of our ground service. Given that we had a few babies with us and the expected time of night we pre booked and paid for a private mini bus to pick us up and take us to Niseko. It wasnt cheap and was with a well know Niseko ground service. When we had arrived at Haneda the night before I had called them to let them know what had happened but the office was closed. I left a message. I assumed that they would have checked the arrivals info and known what had happened. I also tried the next morning but by the time the office opened we were in the air on our way to Chitose.

The next morning our transfer service was nowhere to be seen. After an hour of running round and making calls it turned out that their attitude was, "we turned up last night, you didnt - your problem". They said they had sent the driver to pick us up the previous night costing them the trip so they had met their obligation and would not be coming today. they didnt even have the common decency to tell us they werent coming. They had all our details, it wouldnt have been hard. In fact they were rude enough to have a go at us for not letting them know we wouldnt be there. when I pointed out that we were in the air at the time and had tried, twice, as soon as we could, they didnt care.

Now, this is a service company that makes a living out of providing ground services in one of the snowiest places on earth. Wouldnt you think common sense would tell them to check the arrivals info and if a flight is cancelled, as they would have known the previous night, to reshedule the service? We paid over $1000 AUD for a service that we did not recieve. It was simply appalling. When I went to see the manager in Niseko he flatly refused any refund or contribution toward the extra &800AUD we had to pay to catch the White Liner bus to Niseko. In fact he was rude about it.

We are up there again for 3 weeks starting next week so I hope our experience is a little smoother this time round but I will not, ever, use that same ground service again. Thankfully we learnt that not all Japanese (in fact rather few) have the same attitude to customer service as that company.