Similarly completely off-topic; and as several other well-known members on this Forum have requested; why not also include a 'NISEKO' page.

That way, all the newbies can be directed to read from that page before asking the same questions ad nauseum.

Truely, it's damn aggravating seeing the same questions being fielded season after season about one resort.

(I feel better after that whine :/.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is so annoying why don't you just ignore it? Don't you have more pressing matters to be annoyed at and get worked up over? MAybe things that really matter, things that are real problems, services that you pay for....

Japan / Niseko / wherever / forums will be new totally to some people, they may be into the search thing which may not bring exactly what they are looking for.

I think the idea of some new member or new to japan section is a good idea - though the simplest solution is for people with the short tempers and/or the ones who find it irresistable to put newcomers off to just avoid posts like that.

Well said miller. I think some people just like to have a moan.

Anyways, I chose snowboarding because my friends were into it and it looked like a lot of fun. It also looked easier and more relaxed (?) than skiing. Since then I've had a go at skiing as well and really like that too.

Creating a newbie corner will put a fence up for the main forums. It will make a newbie apprehensive about joining the main forum as if you have to qualify under invisible criteria.

I am not for fences, I think this place should be free and open. I don’t want to see people being stifled and being shoved aside into the newbie corner. It would create a clique for posting rights in the main forum.

We were all newbies once.

• SnowJapan Admin

The idea is certainly not to fence new members into any one area - they would be welcome to post anywhere on the Forums. We want to make the Forums as welcoming as possible, not the other way round. (I'm not sure why someone might think we would want to do anything other than...)

It is however an idea that a number of potential new members have asked us about, so there is interest in something like this from those people. Some newcomers are apprehensive about posting and we are aware of a number of those reasons.

Anyway we're not going to really thinking this through or making any decisions on anything like this for a while yet. We may start a thread on this sometime in the future to get some feedback but for now perhaps we can get back on topic.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Boarding has a nice aesthetic.

My best day last season had about 10 cm of fresh powder over groomed slopes. About 53 boarders got there before me. I skied past about 25 as they were unstrapping their gear to get on the lift. Another 25 were sitting on their arses in the snow, putting their gear back on as I skied off the top of the lift. I nailed the last three halfway down, sitting on their arses in the snow, admiring their lines.

Ask yourself: do you want to go to all that expense and effort to sit on your arse in the snow, removing or refitting your gear?

;\)

Soubs, you gotta ask yourself, if being a snowboarder means you have to put up with all of those hassles, how good must the ride be to make it worthwhile!

BettyBoo, if you're the type of person who doesn't mind throwing yourself physically into a sport, then snowboarding and it's faster learning curve will offer more fun and more satisfaction sooner than skiing. Speed is an asset when snowboarding. If hooning down the mountain doesn't sound like your kind of thing snowboarding may not be your cup of tea. On the otherhand, if you're inclined to take things slowly and sedately then skiing might be a better option. Not that skiing needs to be sedate, but sedate skiing is easier than sedate snowboarding. The fact that you're asking the question instead of fronting up to the nearest slope and having a go suggests that maybe some skis and a few lessons will be more appealing.
 Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
OK, i've skied since i was 2 until i was 13, and switched to snowboarding after that. i teach snowboarding, and would like to offer my opinion, for whatever its worth.

Skiing is easier to learn, IF YOU LIKE THE FREEDOM OF MOVING YOUR FEET INDEPENDENTLY. Some people don't like having both feet attached to a single board. It makes learning easier in some respects, but harder in others (crossing tips, etc). You also have poles you can use to stabilize yourself.

Snowboarding is not at all hard to learn, providing you take a lesson. Unless you have lots of experience in board sports, the first day can be frustrating trying to figure it out by yourself.
However, the learning curve for doing nice, carved turns may be a little shorter that it is for skiing. And the boots are much more comfortable that ski boots, that appeals to some people.

as for actual terrain, there are advantages to both. Like someone said, sometimes snowboarders have to unstrap on long, flat areas. And skires can navigate narrow areas like tight trees and moguls better. but snowboards tend to float better in powder, and you can't loose them.

In the end, its whatever looks more fun to you. For me, in the late 80s, snowboarding was new, and the simplicity looked appealing (no poles, only one board).

But i am slowly getting over both, and looking into other things that don't require being strapped to anything.

That sums it up. Skiing is easier at the very beginning, but there's an intermediate trap that you don't get over unless you ski 20 times a year with lessons for a couple of years. IE. you'll initially get the hang of skiing quicker, but you'll probably be shredding (or at least carving nice turns) on a snowboard before you'll be shredding on skis..... if 'shredding' is your thing. In places that don't have a strong mountain culture, snowboarding is much more popular, but that's mainly because of the image. In places with a strong snow culture, it's more like 50/50, and EVERYBODY shreds.

Quote:
But i am slowly getting over both, and looking into other things that don't require being strapped to anything.

so whatcha got planned then?

ok, i just look noboarding up. i notice also you started a thread on it before.

so what's the deal - you just stick the stomp pad down on your standard size board?

it looks interesting, and i'm sure there are some very good riders out there, but the but it seems that it's merit lies in making mellow powder terrain more interesting. as far as general resort riding (riding off trails and into trees etc) goes, it doesn't seem very practical to me.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Soubs, you gotta ask yourself, if being a snowboarder means you have to put up with all of those hassles, how good must the ride be to make it worthwhile!

Fair point. I'd actually like to try boarding, but I have chronic back and knee injuries. If I flex and stress when things aren't lined up straight, I break down pdq. Skis don't put a twist in your knee when you're on the lift either. I'm goofy and my right knee is the worse. I'd probably be out injured by the time I got to the top of the first lift.

i kinda agree with both oyuki and ger, but also want to specify a little more. if you take lessons snowboarding will be difficult, frustrating, and painful for the first 3-5 days, but if you keep it up you will be movin with in a 10 day holiday, and certainly flying by the end of a season. actually i think this learning curve is dangerous as it tends to create overly exuberant confidence; intermediate riders posses the skill to travel fast yet lack the experience to be sufficiently aware of their surroundings.

skiing, although easier and potentially less painful for maybe the first 3-5, is a significantly more complex (a jab at all you knuckle draggers out there) and as such a lot harder to master. however, it can also be significantly less comfortable for beginners, with the boots and all. count on it taking years to progress to a advanced stage. and don't bother with trying to become and expert unless you have a full season(no work only ski). it will still be fun, but it takes more work. in saying that though, your progression will be more rewarding. and the new equipment makes the progression from beginner to advanced much less daunting. skiing is a life commitment, snowboarding is a passing fancy.

Soubs, I think you might be surprised at just how little stress snowboarding actually places on your joints. There is very little twisting force at the knee or ankle level. The point where the torsion forces are the greatest is probably the waste. If you get some decent step-ins, work out a few tricks for getting up (i.e. face up the hill) and keep to the powder, a body that has seen a few miles holds up remarkably well. ;\)

It isn't going to happen. This body's done just a few too many miles.

I've just spent a bundle on powder skis and bindings. I'd need a board and boots, pants with the backside hanging down to my knees, and I'd have to grow some hair. Not a good look at my age. Besides, my children would call me a poofter, and disown me.

Originally Posted By: daver

skiing is a life commitment, snowboarding is a passing fancy.

A passing fancy.

That made me laugh. Like- something you'll forget? Surely snowboarding has lasted beyond the "fad" stage.

However, most people over 40 who still ride snow do so on skis. I just don't know many snowboarders who made it a life-long commitment. And I know several skiers who made skiing thier retirement passion.

Surely snowboarding is rather "new" to the snow-riding industry, but I still find it strange that those who started riding boards (of which there are many) 20 years ago, ended up converting back to skis. Maybe it has to do with the "getting around" thing and the constant gear adjustments. Maybe. I don't know.

And boots that fit don't hurt. Get over the whole "ski boots suck" thing.

I tried snowboarding a few times found it no more strain of the ankles and knees than skiing, except on the lift. Having a heavy board hanging off a twisted knee wasn't fun.

...oh and I think a newbee's forum section is a great idea. Would it be possible to ban certain people from posting in just that section, but allow them on the rest of the forums?

eh Thursday? ;\) lol.gif

Originally Posted By: daver
i kinda agree with both oyuki and ger, but also want to specify a little more. if you take lessons snowboarding will be difficult, frustrating, and painful for the first 3-5 days,

with respect, bullshit.