Hi wave.gif

Neither are cheap and I've haven't tried both skiing or snowboarding so I'm kinda frustrated over choosing one over the other. (Or is there a good way to try both without a bit outlay?)

How did you choose?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always go the rental route and see which you like better that way. Although you should give each one a few days at least, because you probably won't enjoy the first few days falling on your arse all that much!

Boarding has a nice aesthetic.

My best day last season had about 10 cm of fresh powder over groomed slopes. About 53 boarders got there before me. I skied past about 25 as they were unstrapping their gear to get on the lift. Another 25 were sitting on their arses in the snow, putting their gear back on as I skied off the top of the lift. I nailed the last three halfway down, sitting on their arses in the snow, admiring their lines.

Ask yourself: do you want to go to all that expense and effort to sit on your arse in the snow, removing or refitting your gear?

;\)

Betty,

I am with Soubs on this - perhaps not surprisingly. I have been on numerous trips with boarders and even the best waste loads of time strapping in and out, especially in places where skiiers can skate over flat spots. All that extra walking and sitting around on your arse has another consequence that people tend to forget - it uses up extra energy as you lose more heat spending time sitting on snow. At least when using lifts, boarders get tired faster than skiiers and get less value for money out of their passes.

As I am obviously biased, I say just do the right thing and get your skis on...it's more of a challenge to learn than boarding, but once you get it, there's nothing better than carving big fast turns on skis...

SdS

• SnowJapan Admin

Welcome BettyBoo!

>>>>

Following on from your comment Bushpig, can we try for this not to become a "shitfest" please.

It's something a few people have mentioned before actually and we are thinking of in time for next season -- to have maybe a "New to Skiing/Snowboarding/Japan" forum that is pretty much where the newby questions could live, and with instructions from other members to only post if it's a post of the "kind" kind (ie. not mocking, if you see what I mean).

Just an idea at the moment and we welcome feedback but we do want the Forums to be a welcoming place to newcomers and their questions.

smile.gif

Good idea that. It can always be intimidating joining a forum (not just this one) and a newby area would be a good addition I think.

I thought skiing looked fun and snowboarding looked more like a fashion statement when I started up - that's where my choice came from.

As I wrote in the first line "boarding has a nice aesthetic"

Good boarders look great in action. They are monopods though. Try walking on one leg. Ask yourself "why do humans have two legs"?

Spud was a boarder, but when he started to take on big mountains he took up skiing.

Yes but you don't walk when boarding or skiing eh Soub. More like sliding like a snake. That walking comment only applies to when you are not actually on the move on a slope. I'll concede that skiers get around easier on the flats, and can traverse much easier, but for the average person doing lift runs, that isn't such a huge hassle.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Welcome BettyBoo!

>>>>

Following on from your comment Bushpig, can we try for this not to become a "shitfest" please.

It's something a few people have mentioned before actually and we are thinking of in time for next season -- to have maybe a "New to Skiing/Snowboarding/Japan" forum that is pretty much where the newby questions could live, and with instructions from other members to only post if it's a post of the "kind" kind (ie. not mocking, if you see what I mean).

Just an idea at the moment and we welcome feedback but we do want the Forums to be a welcoming place to newcomers and their questions.

smile.gif

That is such a noble idea.

I for one will not be able to resist taking the piss. As would most of the other delinquents here. It would just be too much fun to resist. And afterall, that's what we're here for.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hey thanks for the co-operation. shifty.gif

You would be free to try and push us and the policies we might lay out for that section (or in fact any section) if you really wanted to, but know what the consequences would be. A few people in the past have done that and it gets old really quick. It's really not worth it, believe me.

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm not going down that road now thursday. We haven't made any firm plans on this but other people do see it worthwhile and we do see it potentially working. And if we did go ahead with something like that we would expect people to either go by the guidelines set out or simply avoid it if the temptation to cause trouble is too strong.

Anyway this is all going off topic...

Thanks folks (well most of you anyway).

I like the look of skiing but I do want to try both before I take the plunge and spend cash. Perhaps I'll have to try and find some good friends about the same size as me.

I think the idea of a place where people can ask their "stupid questions" is a good idea. I use a few other forums that have a newby corner and it works well. Give it some thought, I'm sure it would make these forums more accessible to more people.

there are stupid looking skiiers in 80's gear and stupid looking boarders all thugged out.

i don't think any group looks less ridiculous than the other

OK, i've skied since i was 2 until i was 13, and switched to snowboarding after that. i teach snowboarding, and would like to offer my opinion, for whatever its worth.

Skiing is easier to learn, IF YOU LIKE THE FREEDOM OF MOVING YOUR FEET INDEPENDENTLY. Some people don't like having both feet attached to a single board. It makes learning easier in some respects, but harder in others (crossing tips, etc). You also have poles you can use to stabilize yourself.

Snowboarding is not at all hard to learn, providing you take a lesson. Unless you have lots of experience in board sports, the first day can be frustrating trying to figure it out by yourself.

However, the learning curve for doing nice, carved turns may be a little shorter that it is for skiing. And the boots are much more comfortable that ski boots, that appeals to some people.

as for actual terrain, there are advantages to both. Like someone said, sometimes snowboarders have to unstrap on long, flat areas. And skires can navigate narrow areas like tight trees and moguls better. but snowboards tend to float better in powder, and you can't loose them.

In the end, its whatever looks more fun to you. For me, in the late 80s, snowboarding was new, and the simplicity looked appealing (no poles, only one board).

But i am slowly getting over both, and looking into other things that don't require being strapped to anything.