Are you sitting down, this is exciting...

newlogo_390x220.jpg

"It symbolises the Olympic spirit and the ability of the Games to inspire people to take part - not just as spectators, but as volunteers, in the Cultural Olympiad and more."

You no doubt thought that as soon as you saw it.

Seriously, where do they come up with bollocks like that? Marketing people who come up with these press releases and stuff must lead a strange life. I wonder if they believe all the bull they come up with?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Indosnm
What the hell is that?
Looks all over the place!

This is a logo!

sydney%20logo_sh.gif

Yep Sydney was the greatest games ever, it will take some beating but we were lucky that the games here were before 911 so we were able to spend the money on the games rather than security.
 Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Seriously, where do they come up with bollocks like that? Marketing people who come up with these press releases and stuff must lead a strange life. I wonder if they believe all the bull they come up with?

I think marketing people live in a parallel universe. I agree that London's is not in the same league as the Sydney logo.

FWIW, on the same day as I (and seven other scientists) were made redundant, the CSIRO took on three publicists. Presumably to tell the world about the science they wanted to do, if they had the staff...

ha, i just saw it on the news and knew that either 2pints or BoC would have posted something on here...

i concur. it is rubbish.

the crazy thing is that hundreds of people would have had to approve of this logo. it amazing that it got the nod

It's time for the beaurocrats to be sat on their arses and given a slap around the mush. I could design a better logo than that, and my artistic skills approach zero.

I'm confident that this is the start of a monumental cock-up. Everything is going to go downhill from here.

"Chris Bray, director of one of the country's oldest graphic design companies, Logo Design, said, after seeing the logo: "I don't understand what it is...oh I see...it makes a rather pathetic 2012. Well that's rubbish isn't it."

His feelings were echoed by design guru Stephen Bayley, founder of the Design Museum, who said: "It is a puerile mess, an artistic flop and a commercial scandal. It is feeble. It was a wonderful chance to do something magnificent and it was a waste of resources."

that is crap! it looks like graffeti.

It cost UKP 400,000. That's nearly half million quid for dogshit. The writing is on the wall for uncontrolled spending. I'm signing up as artistic consultant.

It beggars belief that people can squander money on such tripe. Rondeners are going to pay a lot of extra taxes because the self appointed know how to spend your money better than you do. They'll be on expenses too.

Are people getting angry about this over there?

I much prefer the LONDON graphic they had before.... (pretty much anything would be better than what they have now but the LONDON one was pretty nice if I remember)

Originally Posted By: mina2
Are people getting angry about this over there?

If they aren't annoyed yet, they will be when the tax (rates) bills start to arrive. The freeloaders are on the gravy train, Rondeners are going to pay and pay and pay.

It's sickening that someone get paid that much money for doing that. They should have put it out to the yoof (thats what the London Olympics was all about right) for ideas and get it done on the cheap. I'm sure some sort of interesting competition would have been possible.

I can't be buggered googling for the actual amount, but aren't the games already something like 4 times over budget? Stand by for a full-on f**k-up with the 2012 games. Imagine all the worst things about the Millennium Dome, the Millennium Bridge, Wembly, the Underground, the English rail services and the English postal services rolled into one big mess. It will eventually come together but there is going to be a lot of pain and a bloody huge bill before it's over. Then of course there will be years of recriminations afterwards.

when you spend other people's money, it's easy to not care about how much stuff costs... hence the inefficiency of government spending.

there's reports that the london olympi budget is blowing out from GBP2.5b to GBP9b! crikey! that's a huge jump.

soubs - you seem to alluding that londoners will foot the bill for this - but won't it just come out of the general UK budget??

The London logo is that bad it makes epileptics fit!!

"...yesterday evening, they <olympic branding comittee> were forced to pull the promotional video for the new brand from the official website after complaints from a completely unexpected quarter - Britain's epileptics.

In the two and a half minute animation, the logo comes alive, springing from athletes' bodies and bouncing vividly across the city, and one flashing section has triggered seizures"

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/london2012/story/0,,2096488,00.html

I like that article:

"one viewer, Christopher Filmer, rang the BBC to say he suffered a seizure while watching the footage on television and his girlfriend had also suffered a fit and needed hospital treatment. "

Any reports of people injuring their heads while throwing up in the toilet.

Spook. Depends who are paying the bills, but if it is London, then yes it's going to be on the rates. Otherwise it is just going to more tax for everyone. Whatever, GBP 400,000 for a logo is obscene.

Glad I no longer live in the land of UK.

ok, i guess i just assumed that the UK as a whole would be paying. that's coming from my financially uneducated POV.

but yeah, we were living there when london won the bid, and immediately the talk was of higher council tax. buggered if i understood what all that was about. i was always really confused by the bagaries of the tax system over there.

some friends with houses near the olympic area were rubbing their hands with glee though - property prices shot up considerably