We get the series Iron Chef on TV here every Saturday evening and while its the dubbed English version so I suspect the comentry is nothing like the original (I believe we get a characters voice that does not even exist on the original) its excellent.

When I first visited Japan in 2005 I thought seeing the show would be great, i was deeply disapointed however to find out it finished in about 1999 and what we are seeing is quite old.

So did the show have the huge following it does here or is it just a freakish thing that has happened and what does Chairman Karga do these days.

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum

So did the show have the huge following it does here or is it just a freakish thing that has happened and what does Chairman Karga do these days.

I just read that Kaga is an actor.... \:\(
I really thought he would have had something to do with food.
Kind of dissapointing.

I LOVE FOOD!

I LOVE IRON CHEF!

I know it's old, and Kaga is only an actor in a role, but what the competitors get up to in kitchen stadium is absolutely thrilling to watch. The techniques, the matching of ingredients, and the variety of cuisines on show make every episode worth watching. There is no DVD released, and I won't admit to recording every episode I can (at least in a public forum). The judging is a bit inane, and maybe the voting is a bit rigged, but who wins is not really the point. Its the spectacle.

The chefs took it seriously too, as if their reputations really were on the line. I think that's why the US version flopped (SBS put it on for a while, then started the Japanese version again). The commentary team was not all that excited by the contest, too analyical, less showy, and the chefs' heart weren't really in it.

I think the commentary dubbed by the Food Network was as close to the original japanese as they could manage, taking into account the differing idioms ("Man Alive!, "Bang a gong, we are on!", etc.) between Japanese and (American) English. Except Kaga, of course... his voice was never dubbed, but subtitled, beacause the producers just felt it didn't sound right when they dubbed him. That's why he's the only one to get subtitles.

Did I say I love Iron Chef?

• 2 weeks later...

keba, did you see the bobbie flay rematch episode? it was awesome. or how about the episode when one competitor who was working as a takubin driver beat the iron chef and was afterwards invited to become the iron chef italian. another classic.

I remeber the takkyubin driver match, but I never saw the Bobby Flay rematch... My favorite was the French chateau challenge, where they had 24 hours to source all their ingredients locally before the battle... Homard lobster was one of the theme ingredients, if memory serves me right...

This week was the third dessert challenge with Pears and Chocolate. The Challenger did really bad and Sakai won convincingly.

Its funny how all the Aussies on here follow this japanese show and hardly any Japanese know it. It has a huge following here.

The challengers often try too hard to impress with the size and complexity of dishes served, and forget the point of the contest - to highlight the theme ingredient in a number of different dishes in a multi-course meal. that's why Sakai won the pear-chocolate battle.