My friend is stuck for a visa in a couple of weeks. He wants to work part time at several places and do a self-sponsored visa. It seems he can't find the right information about how to do this. Anyone here know? confused.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your friend's in Japan go into Immigration and talk to one of the immigration counsellors (not sure if they're in every office but they're in Tokyo). Or contact one of the many immigration lawyers that advertise in places like metropolis and tokyo noticeboard and get advice from there. Worth paying a few yen, they usually charge around 5000 yen an hour, and there are some who you can talk to by phone if you can't see them in person. Or try both.

Im going to apply for permanant residency here next Spring -can somebody say their experiences/not hearsay about what was required in order to get it. Ive heard a million things and thought best to hear from peeps who actually have it - (I know what Ive heard)...cheers!

I'm applying very soon. I have to still renew my current visa though, cos it expires in early July and they told me the PR will take 6-10 months.

Basically the you should have been here for 10 years and for 5 years on the same visa.

That being said there are times when you can get it if you've not been here that long. My advice is to talk to an immigration lawyer if that applies to you.

Basic PR guidelines

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/guide_residence.html

Links for successful and unsuccessful candidates who were trying to get PRs under the category of 'contributing to Japan'

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/eizyuu.html

I heard you need to show your last 3 years of tax returns, (maybe only 1 year if you're a spouse), show your bank balance (you probably want to have at least a million yen there) and probably also show you've paid ward tax. They also ask for a guarantor. It seems that the only duty for the guarantor is to pay your airfare home if you ever wind up too broke to do it yourself. J guarantor is always better, I may have to get a foreigner, though. In which case professors, lawyers, doctors, consulates, etc are best.

Time it takes depends on where you are too, I think.

How long have you been here? Less than 10 years, for sure...

thanks sunrise, invaluable info there. I could see me getting it from some of the examples there though I would have only been with this school for 1 year at time of application. What I could see affecting it would be the fact that I have tenure (正社員) position...well, dunno but will apply for it and see what happens, if not Ill prolly just get another 3 year...

I guess I would qualify except for the minor problem of not having a mil in the bank. frown.gif

What are the advantages? Just not having to renew your visa every three years?

What happens if you go home for a few years? Do you have to give it up and start again?

Originally Posted By: me jane
I guess I would qualify except for the minor problem of not having a mil in the bank. frown.gif
What are the advantages? Just not having to renew your visa every three years?
What happens if you go home for a few years? Do you have to give it up and start again?

me Jane - as long as you are married and have a kid, you should be fine even without a huge bank account. You'll just need a bunch of documents and proof that you all live together etc.

Got my PR last year (10.5 months of waiting)- it never expires as long as your re-enrty permits are in order.

They have to get money from you somehow! \:D CB - If your visa is the same type of working visa as it was before, then you have had it longer than 1 year, if you know what I mean. Still, I don't know how it works with different employers under contract cos I'm freelance. Maybe it's different? That's where you could get good advice from an immigration lawyer, not expensive just to talk for an hour.

I dont have the time to go see an immigration lawyer. What a co-worker of mine did was apply for both at the same time, supposedly you can also apply for permanant but if you get down can get the 3 year visa...sheet my passport expires next year as well...mendoukusai!! Any Yanks out there keep their old passports or do we have to forfit them? I know with my mates aussie passport they just punch holes in it reading VOID or something like that.

Just got my Aussie one renewed cb. They now cut off the barcode and numbers.

The reentry permits are 3 years, so even wih a PV you have to come back into the country at least that often to get a new one.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
The reentry permits are 3 years, so even wih a PV you have to come back into the country at least that often to get a new one.

That's a bummer. I was hoping to go for permanent and finish all this nonsense. On the other hand, I'm never going to be living elsewhere.

Just got my 3 year visa renewed and a multiple re-entry. My passport's going to be full before it runs out.

well it will finish all the nonsense soub, other than having to get a re-entry permit. But if you are not leaving Japan for say 5 years, then you don't have to get the reentry permit. You don't have to keep that valid unless you wanna go out and then come back into the country.

Thanks Fjef.

So if you get your PV, you still have to go to the immigration office every three years for a re-entry permit.

You could leave Japan and keep the visa as long as you can back to renew the re-entry but you would still have to pay residency tax, even though you weren't here, right?

I can't see any advantages of a PV. What are they?

yes mejane, but as I said, you only need the reentry permit if you are going and coming, not if you are just staying put. The advantage is that it is one less hassle to have to renew it every 3 years. Taxes are the same.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
But if you are not leaving Japan for say 5 years, then you don't have to get the reentry permit. You don't have to keep that valid unless you wanna go out and then come back into the country.

I think for anyone with family or other close ties outside Japan it's probably better to keep it up to date. I keep mine up to date just in case there is a family emergency and I have to go home suddenly.

Doesn't seem very logical to give you PR and not a PMRP.

Once in 3 years isn't too bad, even though I have to go to Sendai for the privilege. It's going to be harder for you if you move back to Wales, boyo.

Would it be possible to renew the re-entry permit at a foreign embassy if you were outside Japan?