I am going to take a return trip from Shinjuku to Hakuba Happo (http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/express/hakuba_shinjuku/index.html) and vice versa in early Feb. I would like to ask if anyone can reply:

1. Is the overnight bus comfortable? (2230 to 0530)

2. I will arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport on 31 Jan at 3pm. Do you think that I can get on the night bus (7pm or 1030pm) on that day without any advance booking? Is the bus easily full?

3. I will leave Hakuba on 6 Feb and take the 7am departing bus (arriving at Shinkuju at 1130am in schedule). I will have a flight in the Haneda Airport heading for Sapporo on 1330. Is it common that the bus cannot meet its schedule and be late for more than half an hour? I think 30 minutes are the most that I can lose in order to catch my flight.

4. Any possible methods to have a cheaper return bus price? Standard price is Yen8500 for return trips.

5. Any comment for Hakuba Happo and other nearby ski resorts? Which one you like most and why?

6. Any cheap but nice accomodation in Hakuba Happo or nearby to suggest?

I know the above is a lot. Thanks in advance.

Gordon

OOOoo dear, lets hope you dont start a fight with this one. Have to go to work so I cant answer your Qs now, sure someone else will though. I`ll revisit when I get back to give my opinion. For the meantime find the `cheapest day tickets from Tokyo` thread for a bit of background reading.

Good luck \:\)

Hakuba-8500 yen bus is not bad at all there are a few gaijin places if you cant speak japanese. book in advance it doesnt change the price too much. Lots of good choices in the area. Happo is nice with great views. 47 goyru has some nice runs and lots of people here ski there. Tsugaike long runs nicely groomed. Iwatake I have no idea good choices take a look at the maps and decide what you want to ride.

Ok, got a bit of time so here goes. Of course this is just my opinion from my experience, not gospel.

1. The overnight bus is, lets face it, not comfortable but it is bearable. My advice, take something to read (always makes me wanna sleep more), personal music, something to rest your head on and blindfold type thing if light stops you sleeping. They usually stop twice for toilets and refreshment.

2. Personally I would book the bus in advance. From arrival in Narita you should be able to get to catch either bus easily.

3. I always get the package deals on offer as they throw in everthing and usually work out cheaper. So I don`t know about the just bus routine. However if someone is late then the buses I`ve been on always wait. Therefore it only takes some ejit who`s forgotten their watch to make you late. And of course it only takes a small accident to cause you problems. Have you considered getting a bus back in the evening of the 5th? Stay in Tokyo for the flight in the morning. As siren says that connection does look precarious.

4. As I said I get the package deals. For example I will be going to Hakuba in Jan on an overnight bus, stay a night in a pension (my preference - I find them comfortable and friendly) have two days pass for Hakuba 47 and Goryu, dinnner and breakfast and lunch voucher included and return on an evening bus all for 14,700yen. I`m happy with that. Problem is it obviously ties you in and reduces the flexibiliy of your trip.

5. Fattwins kinda summed them up. All are good I think.

6. See 4. I like pensions, but they come with the tour I book so can`t give specifics on getting in touch. Have a look on this site, there are accomadation options listed.

Hope that helps. ;\)

Can you speak japanese? I don`t really, so have to rely on friends or lots of sign language.

There are only phone numbers as contact on the brochure. It looks like this tour is run by Alpico group whoever they are, and offered through Tokyu Corp travel agents. I just picked up a brochure at Yokohama station. It says `Power up` ski and snowboard on the cover. Looking at your dates though, you have a long time to explore, so maybe a tour isn`t ideal for you.

However here are the numbers, but I`m afraid I can`t say which one is for which stations travel agent but these are for Tokyo because they start with 03

03 (3409) 0942

03 (3724) 0841

03 (3708) 1551

good luck \:\)

Stoke,

That's fantastic! When will you leave?

How much is your tour finally? And go to which ski resort?

I will go to Happo-one for sure and am now thinking two more resorts in Hakuba during my stays in Nagano. Any suggestions?

Gordon

Will be leaving on the eve of 14th Jan and on the slopes on the 15th and 16th at Hakuba 47 and Goyru. Wanna go to Hapo-one but wannna give it more than two days cos it`s so big, thats why I`m goin where I am.

Lookin at your dates, it looks like you have enough time to try them all and decide which you like best. ;\)

Wish I had that luxury :p