An alternative headline - Average sized pig shot by world's smallest boy!

>He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-calibre revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all, there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation for doing.

The pig was about to do this but on reflection it occurred to him that any child hunting pigs with a 50cal pistol is probably a complete nutter and the better course of action would be to get the hell away!

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
An alternative headline - Average sized pig shot by world's smallest boy!

>He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-calibre revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all, there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation for doing.

The pig was about to do this but on reflection it occurred to him that any child hunting pigs with a 50cal pistol is probably a complete nutter and the better course of action would be to get the hell away!

Hmmmmm...... guns.

Don't forget about the guide and his father with long-range rifles aimed at the beast the whole time, should that threat become real. Also, I'm willing to bet that the language in the article is a bit over-the-top.

It probably went like this;
See enormous pig 100 meters away.
Agree that the kid should be given the right. (all fathers do this.)
Shoot.
Go to spot where pig was shot 3 minutes ago.
find blood.
Follow blood.
spot pig from afar again.
shoot again.
go to spot where pig was shot second time.
find blood.
follow blood.
(repeat four more times for 3 hours.)

find pig laying in field, breathing.
Shoot it in the head.

Sorry to kill the glamour, guys.

I don't know what to say to that post Samurai. Did you think that there was any scope for believing there was any scenario other than the one you just described? Perhaps we need a little irony (if that is the right word) gremlin so you know when people are taking the piss.

Anyway, personally I don't know which is more amazing, the size of that bloody pig or the idea that someone would take an 11yr hunting with a 50cal pistol. Given a choice, I think I'd take my chances with the pig.

Actually, now that I reread that. No hunter would ever immediately go to where the animal was shot. It doesn't know where the threat came from, and it often does a circle.

In other words, they probably shot it, then waited before even going to find that blood trail. Hence the 3 hours thing.

Not the same image as running through the woods chasing a giant boar with a pistol.

I liked the boy's last remark. "I'll stick to pheasants. They're not so scary."

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
I don't know what to say to that post Samurai. Did you think that there was any scope for believing there was any scenario other than the one you just described? Perhaps we need a little irony (if that is the right word) gremlin so you know when people are taking the piss.

Anyway, personally I don't know which is more amazing, the size of that bloody pig or the idea that someone would take an 11yr hunting with a 50cal pistol. Given a choice, I think I'd take my chances with the pig.

I was just trying to belittle the article.

edit*
Because I'm so f*ing jealous.

yeah, me neither.

I find it hard to believe the kid instigated anything. I'm willing to bet the father was more nuts.

But, I didn't know anything about them until my gun-safety class at 12. All i knew was; "Don't touch those!"

A nuts father, or a kid learning how ferocous guns really are. the kid did admit his fear.

Hasnt everyone strapped cushions to their arse and run around in the bush with airifles shooting at each other???

Damm those things hurt if your mate misses the cushion.

I dont condon it but we all survived to become responsible taxpaying citizens, none of whom has gone mad and shot anyone.

So good on ya kid I wish my dad had taken me hunting pigs when I was that age.

that's all cool and even a bit of killin' is ok in the right context - spotlighting, hunting rabbits, yabbying all that outdoor stuff is cool. But an 11yr old with a 50 cal pistol hunting pigs is just f*cking wrong.

how could it possibly get so big after only three years?

i was disappointed to see that they were going to butcher it exclusively as sausage. certainly they could have gotten a good ham, or a few chops, hey maybe even a nice side of bacon. why exclusively sausage?

Originally Posted By: daver
how could it possibly get so big after only three years?
i was disappointed to see that they were going to butcher it exclusively as sausage. certainly they could have gotten a good ham, or a few chops, hey maybe even a nice side of bacon. why exclusively sausage?

3 years is beyond me.

Sausage is just preservable.

But, yeah... how rad would a rottisserie be? Just a leg, even.

Where's the village Bon-Fire?! Can you imagine the party getting the whole village together to eat that beast? I would have passed on sausage just for that.