• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Heroes by far.

Battlestar Galactica was a entertaining but the characters were very cliched and cheesy.

Every episode of Heroes had me wanting to watch the next one immediately.

no contest - one has aliens, spaceships and hot, kick arse chicks. The other has one strangely stocky teenager, an internet stripper with special powers that I can't for the life of me work out what they are and a plot that feels like the writers have no idea where the show is going.

Geeks are ok. I've even met a few that I quite liked.

Just to establish my own geeky bona fides - the team that do the speacial effects for BG also worked on the firefly (that odd cowboy - scifi show) and some of the star trek shows. As a homage to those other shows there is a scene in one of the BG episodes where they show the refugee fleet and mixed in with the other ships is the firefly spaceship and the star trek ship! So there.

Perhaps the appeal of BG over H is that in BG, whilst the overall story line might be just as directionless and contrived, at least the major characters (particularly in the 2nd series) have

a) a fair idea of is going on

B) a clear end to work towards

c) the ability to go out and kick some butt when the need arises.

On top of that, each episode is a self contained (sometimes good sometimes not so good) story with a beginning, middle and end.

H is just a buggers' muddle with no one knowing what the hell is going on or who the hell they are or what they're supposed to be. It is certainly watchable but give me a cigar smokin', whisky drinkin' jet fighter/spaceship thingy drivin' gal who shoots first and doesn't bother with the questions at all. Maybe it's the simplicity that's appealing, maybe it's because I hope my daughters turn out to be more like Starbuck than Stumpy-the-Cheerleader.

Have you heard any interviews with the writers of Heroes RD? Did you see the season finale? They said they didn't want to draw it out like Lost. They very definitely had a point they were working towrads, and I saw it very clearly right through to the end. Sure, it wasn't all spelled out in bright pink, but it was there. Each week we got more info on characters, and saw them all gravitating closer together and to the final event. It wasn't directionless. And the Season finale wrapped up the storyline of the first season. That is how they wrote it. They are gonna start a completely new storyline for season two.

BP, No I didn't see the finale or that interview and I am doing my usual thing of talking from a basis of (almost) complete ignorance. I just never really got into the show - I couldn't get past my confusion over Internet-Stripper's powers. What was it again, Surly-Psycho-Bitch with a kung fu grip?

So what next for the Heroes? Matching outfits and a bat phone?

Strange how the most mundane of dramas becomes watchable if it’s mixed with a bit of science fiction. But then again, there is a show being advertised here that is described as being "the highest rating show on the sci-fi channel". Hardly the greatest of recommendations!

Bring back Blake's Seven!

Have you ever noticed how many science fiction shows revolve around a group of misfits who somehow end up with the best space in the universe and being chased by the authorities (typically baddies) of some sort?

In no particular order:

Blake’s Seven

Farscape

Lex

Andromeda

Firefly (spaceship was junk but all other elements were there with the psycho sister substituting for the spaceship)

Doctor Who (sort of, sometimes)

Star Trek (not completely in line with that but the Voyager had many of these elements)*

*Suspension of belief (and let’s face common sense and good taste as well) is pretty well mandatory for science fiction but in Star Trek Voyager, if they can have a computer program work as a doctor, why the hell do they need a person to manually steer the ship?

I’m flat out at work today. Can you tell?

Thursday, F'ckoff! ;\) So we all know now that Thursday bases anything he says not on fact or reason, but on whether he is trying to be an otherwise idiot ;\) :p

RD, I agree that that was the weakest of the characters, but she only featured heavily in the earlier episodes. Some of the other characters were quite good.

Are either of those on in Japan?

(Yes yes I know you can probably download illegally and then watch them on your computer - I'm talking about on the telly).

Originally Posted By: scouser
Are either of those on in Japan?

(Yes yes I know you can probably download illegally and then watch them on your computer - I'm talking about on the telly).

If you purchase and download ConvertXtoDVD you can burn your downloads and watch them on your TV using the DVD
  • 2 months later...

If you are going to bother buying, you might as well get the DVD - then you'll get the whole deal - Hi Res video and 5.1 sound.

Q. If I miss a show on TV, then download it so I can watch it, is it stealing? After all if I had been organised I could have recorded it on my computer through my TV dongle thingie...

BTW most new DVD's will play computer DivX and XviD, etc video files. Saves on all that tedious converting!