Agriculture minister Matsuoka commits suicide

I see we have another high profile suicide today. My colleagues here are saying it might be the end of Abe - not sure how that works....

I guess what was freaky about it was I posted at just about the moment you merged and it gave me an error. When I went back to the forums page, the topic was gone! Then when I refreshed, this thread rose to the top and my post that threw the error was in it.

the suicide problem in this county actually just yesterday put a damper on a possible home for sale. My wife told me a cabin up at Zao I had previously complimented is up for sale. At my excitement she then said the lake next door is famous for suicides. "We're not living there."

Realistically how many suicides are there in Japan? Would it be the top of the list? Is it "frowned upon" or seen as some kind of head held high (?) action in the face of advertisty. Sounds rather far-fetched but...

It's a lot. Bankruptcy puts a burden on your family to pay the debts back, so It's one way out. Then there's the cultural thing, bushido spirit. Soubriquette doesn't see it as too clever though. She's a pretty tough lady though and nothing frightens her.

BOC-

I've seen stats that were insane. Like 30,000 a year. I think one stat pointed at how the population is half that of the US, but the suicide rate is double. Apparently it peaked in like 2003 or something, just before I arrived and much of that was due to the debt of the bubble bursting.

Personally, I never heard so much about suicide until I came here. And in the last 2 years, a principal of a school in my district commited suicide and some students as well made the news. That's just what made the news. at a rate of 100 a day, obviously they don't make the news.

On a (hopefully) side-note. I had a student die this year of "sudden pneumonia." She went to club, went home, died. The next morning we got the news. Not once did she miss school for being sick.

(I reserve all respect- but I admit my suspicion.)

I've heard of a few suicides around where I live here in the countryside. Quite shocking. As you said samurai, before I came here I had never heard of anyone committing suicide back home.

I think often suicides are also covered up as something else.