I have a Buffalo one and it has been going well for a while - they seem to be leaders in all things drives for pcs here. I remember thinking how massive it was when I got it (80GB).

Seriously now, I use them to back up data in the lab. Actually I have 5 of 400 Gs 6 of 300 Gs and 2 T data still in the server that need to be backed up.... cry.gif

I ve used them both on windows and unix based OS with no major problems other than file-system compatibility issues between the different OS’s.

I hardly download anything from the internet other than PC games from time to time.

Hard drives don't have OS compatibility issues. They are a blank space waiting to be written on, so once you format them, they are fine with whatever OS you used to do the task. Don't worry about compatibility, look at size, reliability, speed and price.

Buffalo does not make Hard Drives - they buy hard drives and cases and assemble them under the Buffalo brand name. You may find a Western Digital or Maxtor or another brand inside - whatever they find cheap in bulk.

While reliability of most hard drive brands is OK - (but some models or manufactured batches may have more trouble than others), one thing is 100% sure - all hard drives will fail at some point in the future. Back up what ever you buy!

Originally Posted By: XilR8
Hard drives don't have OS compatibility issues. They are a blank space waiting to be written on, so once you format them, they are fine with whatever OS you used to do the task.

The OS it self is not causing the problems but the file system you have formatted your HD sometimes does.
For example windows support only the NTFS and FAT file systems wile unix OSs have a bunch more. If you format a usb HD with the ext3 file system under unix, windows will not recognize it.
The other way around usually works, ie format a Disc with FAT file system under windows and connect it to a unix machine, if you are careful at the mounting process and set the disk file system as FAT. Still I had a usb disk formatted with ntfs that some unix OSs would not mount it whatever I tried.

Do Buffalo actually make anything then? I thought they were this huge "making computer stuff" company...

I may be wrong in some product areas but I don't think Buffalo manufactures anything from scratch - they buy cheap parts in bulk and brand them as many other companies do - but they do honour warranties better than some manufacturers.

They used to sell really crappy stuff but the quality seems better in the last couple of years. I would still not buy their routers but HDs and optical drives seem to be OK for the price now.

OK went and got one - a Buffalo 400GB. Seems to work fine.

One thing I'm not sure on. I won't be using it all the time so I don't want it powered on all the time. So I will just turn it on and off as I need to. Can I just safetly turn on the ON / OFF power button on the drive or should I be clicking on that Remove Hardware Safetly icon in Windows before doing that?

Cheers

The point is to realise that all hard drives will fail - and if you don't have a back up, your data is gone. (you may be able to retrieve data from a dead disk but it is very expensive.)

Its not a very nice feeling to lose your data. Its only doom and gloom when your data is gone! Actually most people that call with hard drive failures are very upset and angry - not gloomy...

How badly damaged does a HDD need to be before it is not recoverable? I presume most drives it is the mechanical parts that break so the data itself is still on there - is it actually fairly easy to recover for the people who do that?