furiitaa and Japanese 'seasonaires' / hardcore ski-snowboarders

I wonder if any of you have any opinions / observations on the following:

Do you see many young (18-30) Japanese people who work in spring/summer/autumn in order to not work in the winter (hence furiitaa, in some respects), to ride all winter in Japan - either just for themselves or entering comps and trying to 'make it' as a pro? (or with this as a background dream)

I know whistler has many Japanese doing seasons there, allong with Fernie, and other well know destinations in N.America, like Mammouth, and NZ obviously caters to a high percentage of Japanese vistors, especially freestlye snowboarders. But do many stay in Japan - living in Hakuba/Nagano (for e.g.) and riding every day? Or maybe working for the resorts, but with riding their priority?

The context of this question is academic study: are there enough of these people in Japan to be a 'siginicant minority group', or are they all abroad - in Canada, USA, etc.???

I had mates up in Hokkaido who did that. They would work all year, sometimes two jobs and then take the winter off, get a bunch of guys/or gals into a 1box apartment, share the rent, and ski/board all winter.

My coworkers up there would just travel around as the seasons changed going from Hokkaido in the winter down to Ryukyu/Okinawa in the summer. Must be nice eh!

I know I will mate - and probably back up in Niseko too before I head back to the States... the time is gonna come sooner than I think shifty.gif

My Kacho called me yesterday and we shot the $hit for a while. It would be soo sweet to do that again. If I saved enough and could get a place without working that would be nice too (and would hit Hakuba); but I actually liked the work I did at the hotel and being able to ski daily, onsens daily, and partying in the dorm. Was a blast. My coworkers became some of my best mates cool.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
but I actually liked the work I did at the hotel and being able to ski daily, onsens daily, and partying in the dorm. cool.gif
What company did you work for, Yama? And what kind of work did you do? Sounds like just the life I want for next winter. Where'd you find the job? online?

Partying in the dorm and onsens daily, hmmm, wonder how much the two mixed? Family onsen perhaps? ;\)

I worked at the Scot Hotel in Niseko (the big pink one at the top) and it was awesome. Got it through a good mate of mine.

One nice thing about Hokkaido is there are many Konyoku (mixed onsens) that my coworkers and I would go to \:D

Yes, that's the way to go... I've had a month one year doing that (not grooming/snowmaking though), 2 weeks last year, 3 weeks a few years back and ages ago in Oz I had a 6 week and 3 week stint. All evening work with days free to ski. A season would be nice, but I just can't take that much time off from other stuff I want to be doing.

It's also very nice to be able to ski all day and not have to work at night! I enjoyed that luxury this season in my limited time on the slopes... (sigh).

Yeh Toque, I was really hoping to meet up with you - slow only has good things to say about you.

haha Fattwins, great summary of my season! Shame on me indeed, it was a hard choice to make but I'm on a mission - I'm nearly finished the task at hand now. With a bit of luck (here's to hoping) it's off to the printers in the next week or two. I'll have a lull where I can't go to Oz while I'm waiting to get the proofs back. Maybe I can sneak out to the slopes for a day or two while that's going on if the snow's okay. If the sakura doesn't come first lol.gif

Nice. I want to get my sorry little ass up there at somestage. Thought about staying in Honshu and trying to get a bar job or something. That way there may be the option of getting down to visit friends in Tokyo occasionally. That or the other way around...get a job in the big smoke and head up in to the snow when I can. hmmmm....decisions, decisions. First things first get some friggin' cash!!!