• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday, that second video wasn't very good. I couldn't watch past the 3 min mark. The snowboard one was better as it had varied terrain.

The ski one really points out the fact that Niseko is low angled powder fields.

Its not so much as which is bigger its just knowing the plain facts about which is bigger. linked resort with planning niseko. pure skiing Hakuba.

Thursday please that first video was good but... too bad all the nice terrain was not at nor near niseko. It was Asahidake either or kurodake, 2 uncontrolled areas. The Niseko stuff was flat again and tracked.

The second vid had a cool guide actually. reading his bio before but, where was the exciting terrain. I want a guide to take me to the big mountains not the trees. I can find deep powder most days i want to like that.

somone embed the google one for me

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6431973105840002900&q=hakuba

Its not all about the powder its about the mountains. If it is all about the powder then your skiing wont go far. Thats not a knock or cheap shot it is the truth. You have to get out there and enjoy what the mountain gives you. I dont want a lame mountain. I want the mountain to throw me that twist and make me search for the good skiing. I want that mountain to have so much Backcountry that tracking it out is impossible. Basically I want a mountain not a bump in the flats.

Mantas, nah, not me. THat was Naoto Seto and it was after I was finished there this year.

Kuma, Fatts,

That's what it's about for me. That deep stuff is what Niseko is about.

You guys can go do the 50 degree drops through the trees at Hakuba whenever the weekend suits you. I'll be up north for my guaranteed deepness.

there's nothing wrong with deep pow but I need some more interesting terrain to keep it fun. Everything I saw in the first 3 mins of that vid is stuff I could straightline. Natural hips, drops, humps etc are what make snowboarding fun. I just felt that the skiers were making too many turns. but whatever, if you're flying in for the snow then Niseko guarantees the goods. When I'm checking resorts in other countries for holidays I would choose the guaranteed easy powder over a more dangerous 'extreme' location (for which local knowledge is indispensable)

hahahaha brilliant, i loved how the opening section of the video was tracked out pow?! what the hell? looks like just pure powder field and trees type of skiing, with zero features, the guy got so bored he looked around at the camera man a couple of times, just to check he was still filming and hadnt snoozed off. looks super deep yeah, but for sure you can ski powder like that in hakuba, absolutely.

i haven't been to niseko, i'm sure it's fun if you don't end up in a bar brawl... but i think the point is that hakuba is right in the middle of a range of real alpine peaks reaching around 3000m, equalling endless..... like seriously endless..... and as gnarly as you can get, backcountry lines, big mountain lines. also there are so many different resorts in one valley, all with different features and terrain.

ps - i have to agree with kuma, i love skiing..... but did they need to make a 4 minute movie of the guy doing the EXACT same thing? ..... ehh sorry which argument is this, the one about shit movies or the one about niseko being flat?

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
When I'm checking resorts in other countries for holidays I would choose the guaranteed easy powder over a more dangerous 'extreme' location (for which local knowledge is indispensable)

That is an excellent point Kuma!

ok yeah i'd lable heli skiing in kamchatka, or chasing the storm in iran - a more dangerous 'extreme' location, but i wouldn't make such a comparison between hakuba and niseko, unless you really are coming to hakuba do something extreme, which i'm sure 99% of the punters on this forum are not.

Now now, it’s not about the movies, nor is it about which is bumpier. It’s about which is bigger area Happo or Niseko? And then it mutated to what to expect from either resort.

Average skier: ‘kinnel, this stuff is so deep, I might drown.

Expert skier: shit, there I was 50 meters above the trees and there was a track. Some bastard tracked my line!!!

Yawn…………..

Bar brawl? You guys had some yourselves this season.

"unless you really are coming to hakuba do something extreme, which i'm sure 99% of the punters on this forum are not."

Niseko, I rest my case.

Steep is not much good if the snow's absolute shite like when I was there. i went to Evergreen to book a back-country tour, they basically talked me out of it, not worth it.

Yer yer bad season all the world over blah blah.

Meanwhile........... in Niseko the snow was excellent!

yeah also, hakuba is a great location for those 99% people too though, with tons of resorts in one valley, like i said before - but what the hell, i dont really care, i'm off to ride it euro style.

forgot to say - would be good if there were more niseko types on here, come on niseko.... represent! not in some ridiculous argument though, just in general.

i think i might have been in all the bar brawls this year...... wicked fun.

was the music to that other video really "i want to ride the white horse" or something? hahahaha nice

PS - where the hell are all the icon things??

i heard from a few people who went, that the snow in niseko wasnt actually "excellent" this year..... not to fuel this angry fire anymore though.

i skied wicked pow in hakuba this year, but that's the difference between living somewhere and going on a one week holiday?

well that of course depends on your definitions of what is "better".... but lets not go there AGAIN.

by the way to do work for niseko or something? lol

hang on, what was the answer to the question - which is bigger - the niseko mountain or happo? surely it doesn't take 5 pages to answer a simple question like that, non?

Thursday your answer to everything is Niseko and its 100% snow. Friends went 3-4 years ago and got skunked no snow and nothing to do. All the while honshu was being pounded. The fact is, besides this season, we have always had powder to pluck in the same amount if not more than Niseko gets. Heck we can still ski down to 900 meters. thats 2100 vertical if you really go for it.

Mantas its too bad that you didnt get the snow, if that puts you off from coming here then so be it. I had one of my best seasons this year cause the pack set-up so well. The 4 meter base 2 weeks ago at tsugaike was pretty sick.

Better in what sense? so getting 200 more cms is better than actually having say a terrain park? Mountains? 4 to 5 times the skiable terrain, access to 50 plus other areas. The fact is because we had a light snow year, about 300 inches or less at mid mountain. We were able to get into sicker and further terrain (that doesnt mean extreme terrain that means getting to areas that have hard access). Your idea of what is better is quite slanted to the "I want tracked out powder." courses for horses and ponys I guess.

Skiing is changing with biglines taking over as the kids move from the terrain park. Whistler is in many ways is like Hakuba, sick terrain, snow up high most of the season, access to snowfields. The terrain draws people as much if not more than the promise of snow (whistler). The job behind marketing is to highlight only the good points and never the bad. So Niseko has never had a bad season in the eyes of marketing and they are good at marketing. Hakuba just plain sucks at marketing itself cause during the bubble it didnt have to. Happo was the king, Tsugaike was packed and Iwatake was a highway of people. Those years although good tainted how hakuba could have marketed itself.

I will be comming back FT, thats for sure. I dont doubt it can deliver.

You should go to Hokkaido and experience it for yourself, and not rely on peoples photo, stories and topo maps. Your arguements would hold so much more water.

Just imagine how much you will be able to take the piss then. ;\)