• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Announcments made in English too?

Hey, Mr. Tanaka, learn ta quit losin yer kids ya f**** wank#r ;\)

just gotta love ©rap while you're waiting in the 20 minute lift queue.

Its funny how some Japanese get upset with the Aussies at Niseko, you should go to the Gold Coast here, there is a game we play called spot the Aussie because there are so many Japanese tourists. Personally I think its wonderful we can share each others countries. I would swap our sun for your snow any time.

Ok at least I didnt start this one. The newspapers have had it written both ways. There are people bitching, but mostly its the people that didnt make the bucks or are saddled with big loans.

We have to remember that many hotel owners etc paid double to triple the prices that people are paying now. People will be jealous and angry about these types of things.

As for foreigners beening angry or upset sure there will be a few. The place used to be a powder land now its chopped crud. People were used to going there and skiing waist deep for a week even if there was no snow. Auzzies will argue that the powder is abundant but we old powderhounds know better.

Quote:
The place used to be a powder land now its chopped crud

That how you expect Hakuba to become or is that somehow predictably different ;\) (< smiley!)

When it snows it's like roast beef ....but there don't tend to be many leftovers and you probably don't want to be late for dinner. Weekdays in February are another story though.

Fattwins thats why we are heading out to some of the other resorts in the area of Niseko this season, to see what Niseko was like before the place became so popular.

I still love Niseko though, its a great mountain but we stay in a place 5km from Higashiyama, its so peaceful and beutiful there.

Many of the resorts in Japan are getting skied out faster than ever. There is no faking or fibbing that they arent. Hakuba though has 1000 times the terrain though than most places. There are way more trees at happo than there are at most places in Japan.

There really isnt that much in Hokkaido ASB if you are comparing it to niseko. The mountains are small, it gets less snow than most places on honshu (only niseko breaks into the top 10 for snowfall). In my books a 1000 meter hump isnt even a mountain though so Im tainted. The places that have the best sking like kurodake or Asahidake arent really built with the family ski holiday in mind. You can try tomamu though that is off the gaijin radar. You can also try Furano but they are the strictest in Japan about not going offpiste. Small little Kamuii is attracting a bunch of attention but thats where the Furano tourist board is shipping all the tree poachers to.

If you like 20 to 25 degree slopes though then Hokkaido will do you fine.

Im thinking of Flatkaido this winter for a lil natsukashii thing and also to hang out with Ian - If that fool actually will do the trip we talked about then Id give it a go. If not, Ill be in the valley again FF ;\)

There are some good resorts in Flatkaido but theyre quite small offering little vert and they lack any kind of quality terrain. Pow up there though is sick.