• SnowJapan Admin

Fattwins, that is not something that will be changing for a number of reasons. Each photo uploaded to the site has a lot of information associated with it - prefecture, resort, country, gallery, caption, user defined gallery, etc) and it would be very complex to modify it all so that 5 could be uploaded at the same time... certainly more complex than the final benefits of doing so. It would also make the uploading page very busy and more complex so we are not sure that many people would actually appreciate it.

Thanks \:\)

Sorry SJ, I actually agree with FT on that one. A series of pics, each one with their own drop downs. Also would be great if there was an easy way to move a bunch of pics from one type of pic to another (for example from general -> overseas). I still have not finished transferring a lot of my pics as it just takes too much time.

Otherwise impressive work as always on the updated site guys and great to have 500KB per pic now!

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi SerreChe. Like I said it would be extremely complex to change things so that the settings for multiple pictures are changed on one form and until now only Fattwins has mentioned this.

However since Fattwins did mention it again it is something that we will once more discuss to explore what is involved and if it is realistic for us to make those changes.

Personally I think that a form that allows you to upload 5 photos would be way too big and clumsy and even put many people off. If you wanted a form that allowed you to assign exactly the same info to two or more photos out of the five possible on the page, then you are talking about a further complexity to the functionality again.

(About changing the categories - surely changing a pic over from General > Overseas takes less than 10 seconds per pic, and it is something that is only ever needed to be done just the once?)

\:\)

Yesterday, I uploaded 17 photos. I just looked at the time stamps on those photos just now and it took less than 10 minutes to upload all of them.... and I was in no rush, I'm sure I could have done it quicker if I wanted to.

I don't see that as being a problem at all, and I don't want to lose the stuff that is associated with each photo. I think it is definitely worth it.

You want SJ to spend tons of time and effort just changing it so that you can save a few minutes? A form that allows you to upload multiple photos would just confuse many people and surely make it unwieldy.

It's just fine as it is.

Maybe this was already answered and I missed it but, I agree that uploading multiple pics in one go would make life easier. Wouldn't it be possible to upload them and then set the properties for each individual photo? I find it a pain in the arse when I have to go back continually to the folder my pics are in to upload them individually (not specifically speaking about this site, but others where I have had to do it that way). Maybe the issue is simply that it would be too much extra effort and hassle for you guys to have to change this, and if so, fine. Sites like Flickr allow multiple uploads and then processing post-uploading. I wonder if that kind of thing would be easy enough to set up here?

The photo side of this place is growing. If you do think about it in the future throw out some feeler sites=== ie biglines etc. These site allow up to 5 images at one time to be uploaded.

How about hosting the photos on an outside website, ie. flikr etc, and then allow us to embed those photos here?

For example, just add a line of markup like img1.jpg to put in img1. This is how some blogs allow you to embed videos.

Then all that multiple uploads, post-processing etc can be handled elsewhere.

You could even make a web service to make an interface so that we can drag/drop files in from flikr without having to cut/paste the URLs etc. Ok that would be as complex as upgrading your photo hosting service, but the markup idea would be simple...

I guess I mean that I dont see the need to host any photos on the snowjapan server. Just host them on a website dedicated to that purpose, eg flikr and get all your post processing and multi-uploads etc,then embed them here.

• SnowJapan Admin

All points noted, thanks.

Other sites that you upload to for free do not link all the relevant photos with relevant Japanese ski resorts, prefectures, categories & galleries like we do on this site. We think (and general feedback has said) that these features are in general a very useful thing to have and we put a lot of effort into creating it to be as interlinked as possible, hopefully for everyones benefit.

Speaking from our point of view, we would much prefer photos to be uploaded to SJ if possible rather than be hosted somewhere else and then linked. More photos on SJ is good in that readers in general have all those resort galleries with all those photos together, members have their photos all together and create different galleries, and of course it is good for SJ as well as it shows the site to be active and popular.

In a way posting them to SJ is a good way of supporting what we are doing. So please do post them to SJ if you can \:\)

Anyway we promise to look into this issue to see what we can do about it - please bear with us for a bit while we do the necessary research and thinking ;\)

Thanks.

SJ,

one way that you could approach it is to have the form as it is for 1 photo to keep it clean and if people want to upload more than one, there could be a "+" button that would add additional paths to upload from along with a description (assuming that the lot is from the same prefecture, resort, etc.) I have to admit, it limits the number of photos I upload because it is time consuming to upload any more than 5-6 at a time.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, thanks. We are definitely going to be looking into this and hopefully it might be possible for us to modify things somehow to allow multiple uploads - we need time though and we'll let you know at a later date. Thanks for the feedback.

You don't actually allow upload of non snow related photos like those in the General Discussion forum. That's why I upload those onto Flickr and link.

I too would prefer to put everything in one place on SJ.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes that's a good point, thursday.

We don't want to dilute the effectiveness of what we have, so to speak. I think it would send out a confused message if we allowed photos of absolutely anything to be uploaded to SJ. (One of the things that the powers that be are very keen on is keeping the focus of what this site is, that being one of the strengths of SJ).

This last season we started the Japan General and Overseas Snow categories, as we knew that people wanted to upload photos from overseas ski trips and Japan photos.... and they are relevant to the theme of the site.

I don't personally think that a "Anything Goes" category would be a good thing....

yeah thats right, I agree.

BUt think about this. One of the best threads is siliness by Goemon though. That is a hilarious thread beacause that shows there's more to SnowJapan than just snow and Japan.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes there is, and people are very welcome to post threads like that.

However, having an official photo gallery section on the site including photos of cats wearing silly hats and drunk uncles dancing at the Christmas disco etc on a major section of the main site is not the way to go.

Snow Japan is not (and we don't want to be) just a free photo hosting service. Each season as the site gets bigger it gobbles up a huge amount of bandwidth daily and we have to deal with that issue in terms of network and cost. Adding any "upload all you want" section would be of no benefit, rather the opposite. People can easily upload the silly cat photos on any of the free photo hosting services out there and link them in to threads. Of course any photos that fall into the categories that we have on SJ, we'd be more than happy and encourage for them to be uploaded here.

\:\)

whatabout travel photos? I mean specifically for the travel forum. I see you'd probably split that into Japan and non-Japan, so that would make only a portion of the photos be eligible to be uploaded to SJ and non-Japan having to be linked outside. Seems a bit messy.

• SnowJapan Admin

Well, I would say that while we hope that people will use them and they will become a good addition to the forums community, the Travel sections of the Forums are hardly a major part of the site and not the main focus of what we are. We added those forums the other week when we updated the Forums in general because a number of established members in the past requested those new sections to the Forums.

The current photo upload facility on our site is closely linked with the galleries and categories that we have and so even if we wanted to, adding "Overseas Travel" would not be a quick thing to implement. But I'm not sure we would even want to do that though.... it's just not the main focus of SJ.

However, many of the changes and developments that we make to SJ each year are based on comments that we get from people and so if it turns out that this is something people really want, we shall see. I will bring this point up though next time we meet to talk about developments.

Thanks.