season was great in a lot of ways, and incomplete in others. discovered new terrain, got to take a cool trip. however it started late, and ended earlier than i wanted. and i wasn't able to check out terrain i had been hoping to ski due to weather.

Originally Posted By: daver
season was great in a lot of ways, and incomplete in others. discovered new terrain, got to take a cool trip. however it started late, and ended earlier than i wanted. and i wasn't able to check out terrain i had been hoping to ski due to weather.

Where was the new terrain? Where did you go for the cool trip?

Thank you daver. I am willing to spill the goods for visitors, but no locals, unless you ride with me frequently. Some snowboarders managed to find our entrance, but not our exit or all the lines in-between. They may choose to explore more next year, but hopefully they just got scared by that horrible walk out they took. Those secret stashes are all that exist.

Our season was short in retrospect. Good, healthy, but short. It's not even June yet and I'm already crabby at the heat.

Probably timed it well with the less than great general conditions this last season, but I was out of Japan a fair bit (family & work) and so didn't have the most chances to get out to the mountains.

The best word to describe the season - disappointing.

But that will be enough of that. Amazing is the word we can all look forward to next winter.

As for overseas people they're not going to be coming to Japan to ski at Hakuba Highland (insert other small resort name here). Well one or two duffuses (?!) might lol.gif but not enough to make any kind of impact. There will be a bunch of the big ones that get the big majority of the invading barbarians.

Consitering the snowfall, i had a really good year. I got to work at a resort part-time, get a free lift ticket, checked out some new hills, and made some new SJ friends.

Also, it was my first time really riding after taking a year off from knee surgery, so i was extra happy just to be on a board again.

As for next year, i advise that everyone not get their hopes up. I think that we can pretty well deduce that the earth is indeed generally warming, snowfall is decreasing, and that while there may be the odd amazing year, thy will not be as consistant as they used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of snow it was really quite for me. I didn't make it out that much at all. So I'm hoping for a more active season next time round. I also want to take a week long trip to somewhere a bit further afield - maybe up to Hokkaido or somewhere in Tohoku, or maybe even Gifu. I have some friends in Gifu city and might be good to visit them.

In retrospect my season was great. It was the first time working at the snow and my first full season. Although the gods didn't dish up the goods as I have had in previous years, a lean snow year did help with getting a business up and running (next year it can resume snowing copious amounts). Being here for a season was a great experience and I met a lot of fun people. There were some lines that I really wanted to drop this year that I didn't get a chance to do but there were other areas that I wouldn't have usually done that were fantastic. I had a couple of big stacks but no major injuries. My carving has improved a lot on the groomers. Overall I have had a brilliant season and already looking forward to the next.

You're right. I am trying to get myself into shape now. I let myself get rather out of shape over the last year or so and I was feeling it. I've been doing my best for a few months now and feeling the benefits. Problem is I'm naturally lazy I think, I always find it hard to keep it up.

Never been too worried about getting in shape. I just hope all the skiing will do that for me. Although I played a game of rugby for Iwanai on the weekend and think I might have to get in a bit better shape if I want to do that again...my god I'm sore.

Anyway I missed much of the early season as I was renovating my house enough for my wife and I to move in. I did get to take off much of March though and had some awesome skiing throughout that month.

Well, it was my first time riding after taking a season off for knee surgery, so i wasn't sure how i would be able to ride.

But just being back on a board more than made up for the crappy snow of the season. I got in 48 days, and managed not just to get back into the swing of things, but learned a bunch of new stuff as well.

The local terrain park was just challenging enough to learn some new stuff (like boardslides on a flat-down rail) and boring enough where one has to get creative on the jumps, and try new things.

Bought a new board, set it up backwards, and rode switch for a good part of the season as well.

Plus, my first 2 trips to Hakuba happened to fall on huge powder dumps, so i managed to get a little bit of powder riding in too.

And on top of that, i managed to get away injury-free.

So it was a great season for me.

My season was absolutely spiffing, apart from very early when I ran over some stones and took some bites out of my bases.

I improved my technique to the point where I can now handle powder for the first time in 30 years. Then it was down to strength and fitness. Now I can make the skis do the work.

Best of all, I didn't have to spend a month shovelling snow off the factory roof.

I spent a few weeks in Switzerland and had 5 days out on the snow. I love Switzerland but it was not the best of seasons over there - like here in Japan I think. Still, the days we had were good and there were other things being done so we had a great time.