A keitai that is. Been holding out but the pressure is just too much now. ;\)

So I go into the shops and am overwhelmed with the choice. There's just so many.

So I thought I'd ask the gang what they have and thought on what would be a good one to get. Might as well get something half decent while I'm starting as I see it costs a fair bit to swap once you've started the payments!

Any tops keitai tips?

Yes they really rip you when you go to change machines. The same machine can be 0 (or close to 0) yen with a new contract and at the same time 2 man for the long term loyal user. Now way round it though if you want to upgrade.

There are going to be some new fomas released this month/next if you want the latest and greatest Snow-Woman.

watch out for the softbank 0 yen bs. The phone is free but you have to pay an extra 2000yen or more per month for the duration of the 2 year contract which you cannot break. For me to upgrade phones it came to paying 7man for the phone (well, the phone was free!)

How about the "smelly phone"? Not sure if this is a joke, but....

"The company is also releasing mobile phone, which has smell quality and ability to send different smells between users of the phone through the air. The company has already launched the mobile phone for Sony Ericsson, named SO703i, “aroma phone”, which incorporates smell-scented sheets into the phone."

Depending on your japanese skills - you might be limited to Softbank. They have nokias and a few other phones with english features and the bill has english. If you are comfortable with Japanese, it seems like most people go DoCoMo.

Not sure, the last time I had one, only Panasonic's handset had english and the translations were terrible. While the Japanese manual was 300+ pages, the english equivilent was 50 pages....hmmmm.....

Hmmm, I'd look into that. I'm sure I've seen a few with English settings and a large bulky manual as well. In the main monthly Docomo catalogue it tells you which have the English manual.

I was looking over the weekend. I think generally they pretty much all have English menus and also the guidebooks available - thats not a problem.

I want to know what points people choose one over the other on? I only really know about Docomo, but I presume (and hear) that the costs of each are fairly similar however complex it all sounds. Is there anything other than cost that screams "buy me" from Docomo / Au / Softbank?

seriously people! the amount of misinformation about Docomo is astounding. All the recent Docomo phones have English menus and you can download a full PDF English manual of your new phone, save the planet and dont order a paper manual.

Plus pdf has "search" so you plug in the exact word you're looking for and you automatically go to it in the manual.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/manual/index.html#top_foma

Avoid softbank - terrible coverage.

Docomo has the best coverage, Au close behind.

Softbank loses out on coverage - I'd go for one of the other two. Depending on what package you want it should really be about the same cost.

• 3 weeks later...