I'm looking to buy a small (fairly cheap portable) music player but want to know what is available out there other than the ipod shuffle. I want it for jogging and generally to be small and portable (ie. smaller than a normal ipod)

Any first hand experience pointers anyone to help with my research on what might be good?

Thanks!

maybe a small music player isn't what you need. You're joggin right?

Think jogging with weights to improve effectiveness.

Think strapping a fullsized IPOD Movie on the left arm and perhaps a water bottle on the right.

Spend a little more and get the noise cancelling in the machine Sony NW-S700 series. That one looks good.... too good for jogging perhaps?

Thanks folks.

I took a look at those Sony ones yesterday - look good. Certainly more attractive than the small shuffle thing which looks really cheap. Don't know if I really need the nicer looking one will give it some thought.

Whats Sonic Stage like?

Those little shuffle things, while being funkily colourful do looks really really basic and cheap compared to other players out there.

I have heard good things about the Sony players, less than good about the Sonic Stage software. Then again if it is just shunting your songs onto your machine, surely that's enough.

love my sony player big-will, but the sonic software is nowhere near as easy to use as itunes with the ipod. It's functional but a bit of a pain in the arse. But you are right, you get the player for the player, not for the support software (unless it really is useless).

A friend of mine has a Sony player and it sounds really good actually I was quite impressed. When I am looking for a replacement for "vPod" I will definitely be taking a close look at what is around.

CB, Since all the music is on your computer, you should be able to sync with just about any other music player, but you won't be able to use iTunes. When I switched to Zune, it was pretty painless, the app scanned my music folder and found all my itunes music and playlists.

I would definitely look into others. The thought of being "locked in" to one maker is more than a little annoying.

It sure is, but thats effectively what Apple want you to be. Enough motivation to look elsewhere if you ask me. I may be mistaken but they don't seem to be innovating with the ipod as much as they could and other manufacturers are with their machines.

I'd take a look at Creative as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Sony NWS705 2GB - I am REALLY pleased with it.

Great sound coming from the little thing. So glad I didn't go with the shuffle. Problem is, I feel it's too good to take jogging and get sweaty \:\)