Found this while checking some stuff for classes:

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060515_why_lie.html

"We all lie, all the time. It causes problems, to say the least. So why do we do it?

It boils down to the shifting sands of the self and trying to look good both to ourselves and others, experts say.

"It's tied in with self-esteem," says University of Massachusetts psychologist Robert Feldman. "We find that as soon as people feel that their self-esteem is threatened, they immediately begin to lie at higher levels."

Not all lies are harmful. In fact, sometimes lying is the best approach for protecting privacy and ourselves and others from malice, some researchers say. Some deception, such as boasting and lies in the name of tact and politeness, can be classified as less than serious. But bald-faced lies (whether they involve leaving out the truth or putting in something false), are harmful, as they corrode trust and intimacy—the glue of society."

How often do you lie? Are white lies OK? whistle.gif

I generally don't lie but when I do I like to think it is for altruistic reasons such as protecting people from hearing some unpleasant news etc. When I do lie I am sometime surprised by how confident I am doing it. I'm pretty sure I don't lie for boasting reasons, though I sure know plenty of people who do.

I'm maybe not thinking straight but does sometimes tatemae count as white lies? I seem to find people I know "lying" a lot, and it comes under the header of tatemae talk. I'm not an expert on the subject.

ok, but how about this situation?

A: Hey do you like my new haircut?

B: Hey yeah, it's nice!

A: Thanks. Well, I gotta go, seeya.

B: Seeya.

C: That looks bloody awful!

B: Yeah it did!

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
ok, but how about this situation?

A: Hey do you like my new haircut?

B: Hey yeah, it's nice!

A: Thanks. Well, I gotta go, seeya.

B: Seeya.

C: That looks bloody awful!

B: Yeah it did!

sounds like the night I paid off on Taz at Kembys with that gawd awful 1980s rockstar hair-cut he had eh? crazy.gif grin.gif

no more easy or difficult I reckon. It's not like we don't do it ourselves in English on some levels.

Yeah CB, Simon Le Bon, he was! grin.gif We ripped him a new arsehole that night over that haircut!