This seems to be related, but not recent.

I think skiers should have to pay for lessons on how to avoid snowboarders, because they don't seem to be able to stay out of the way. They seem to think that they can overtake safely with no margin for error on anybody's part. And just like in the story, they often crash into each other, particularly when skiing backwards or on one leg.

If segregation were to work, doing it by resort rather than by slope would be better.

Ocean11,

Hope that wasn't serious about all skiers all screwed up. Talk about a major generalization. I'm sure there was a day way back when you may not have been that good of a snowboarded and were a little out of control in regards to stopping, avoiding people, etc. Well here is a little story - my buddy goes up to snowboard at Hakuba47/Goryu the other weekend. A snowboarder runs into him - totally the Japanese guys fault and not his. Japanses dude doesn't get hurt but they go down to the ski patrol anyway. Somehow he gets his phone number and the Japanese guy wants to sue/extort money out of him now saying that he is going to miss some days of work. Doesn't make sense to me.

I have a feeling that most of this is caused by the number of lifts at mtns and the limited number of trails. At the top of Happo I think they have about four lifts to service two trails. It get unbelievably crowded up there. I have never seen so many people in one spot skiing/boarding. Same thing at the top of Goryu too. I think they need some more trails over here. When you have a mtn with 30 trails and 30 lifts I think there is a problem.

And with the generalization of skiers all screwed up, give me a break. I've seen my fair share of snowboarders all over the place. Slide slipping slopes, falling, etc. One of my pet peeves is snowboarders laying/sitting all over the trails to take a break. Regardless, I think to blame it all on skiers either makes you quite uninformed or close minded. Maybe both.

I can't see any logical reason for seperating skiers and boarders. It's a joke. It would make more sense to split up beginners and intermediates/advanced. Sure that's what run grading should do, but lets face it, it doesn't always work that way.

If everyone were to follow the alpine code there would be far less people crashing into each other.

As someone said in the article, it was "an over reaction to one incident" and hey, Italians tend to do this sort of thing don't they? \:D

It seems to me the main problem here is speed (ignoring self-induced injury in the half-pipe or the park) and whether you are going too fast and you are paying attention to people around and behind you. I notice that some skiers tend less willing to slow down even when the slope is crowded.

I can't prove it but I suspect some skiers use floundering novice snowboarders for gate training practice.

My guess TeleSkier is that O11 had his tongue well inside his rosy cheek.

My theory is that it`s the trend for more and more recklessness and risk taking on the slopes that are driving the increase, be it for adrenaline rushes or showing off. People are constantly trying to push themselves and their sport to be more extreme, skiers and boarders alike. Both sets of people are to blame, both should take responsibility.

I`ve been hit by boarders and skiers alike (waiting in a line on each occaision) , but can be proud to say that I have never hit anybody (unlikely as that seems), so it is possible.

As Mum used to say, `There`s a time and a place for everything` and getting this right seems to me, to be the key. :p

For me, it's very difficult to know which way this snowboarder wants to go.

I agree with snowboard_freak. When I ski on beginner slopes, I'm very careful. However, I see some guys try to make a schuss and it's very dangerous.

I am starting to feel that snowboarding is like cancer. It starts with a few boarders & skiers enjoying themselves and then this small group grows to a mass of baggy pant wearing ass sitters (in the middle of the slope). The cancer grows until the place in most unenjoyable and then the cancer moves on to take over another formally nice bit of the mountain. Snowboarders seem to swarm and it is starting to put me off riding one, along with the fact that I don't find riding them much fun unless I am on wide open powder.

I am 50/50 thinking of a switch to skis next season and I am sure at that stage I will lament the board swarm and wish that they were put on their own slope (except for my friends).

ps - I am actually thinking about making the switch this season as it takes at least 2-3 intense seasons to become good enough to have a go at skiing in challenging conditions, unlike on a snowboard. I figure that if I decide to make the switch then the sooner I get started the quicker I will get the season of being a lone riding beginner out of the way and I will be able to hit it with my mates again.

Nothing against skiers, but like normal, I think you are a bit quick to jump the gun. You have just gotten this idea in your head but you make it sound like you already bought the skis. You are already a good rider, but if once you hit that next level you will find it is much more fun than where you are, even if you aren't in powder. That level is when the "riding" is just completely natural without thought. Eventually you won't think about catching an edge or making a turn or even avoidig a camping baggy pantsed kid. One it is automatic you can just concentrate on having full on fun. I do this by going fast and getting air. You haven't really gotten to the point where you have fun in the park. I imagine this is mainly because park riding is a specialized thing in Japan. Most places don't even have much of one. We'll spend a few days in the park this season and you can see that even if you aren't throwing big spins or clearing the pipe it is still fun to get air and see yourself progress.

You've just been spending too much time riding wih skiers. ;\)

That is one thing riding in Australia gets you do more often - visiting the park. It is rare that we get powder days so the park looks more and more inviting every day without new snow.

I'm far from good in the park and it is one tihng that i want to work on and spend a couple of days in the park this season. Bring on the pow and the park!

I like to jump the gun. \:\)

For some reason parks only have so-so appeal to me and..... I think what skiers do in parks looks more impressive than what boarders are doing... (sorry for that provocative statement, I hope I didn't offend).

One thing I am thinking about doing is spending every non powder day with my bindings set up to ride goofy (I am a regular stance). That way I can go back to being a beginner again and also after a while get very well acquainted with riding goofy. After this I will go back to being a regular stance rider and will have the added advantage of being almost just as 'good' riding switch. I reckon this will open up a whole box of new things on a snowboard.

Sorry - this is way off topic.

I'm speaking from my own experience when I say that for me, skiers can be dangerous. I've been hit be several, although I've never collided with another snowboarder.

First of all, as slow says, skiers don't know where boarders are going, so they often come too close from behind, which they shouldn't do, and seem very surprised when the snowboarder does what is normal for them to do.

Skiers also tend to make rapid turns back up hill, something which boarders generally don't. They usually don't look first either.

Skiers ride in lines, often in family groups with a parent on each end, snowploughing across the whole slope.

Of course snowboarders have their vices too, including sitting around in groups, although this seems to be pretty well matched by groups of skiers standing around gaping.

Not all skiers are like this of course, but undeniably some are. Anyway, the best solution would be for patrol to be vigilant and proactive in educating those boarders and skiers who don't behave with common sense and who pose hazards.

db, why not go AC/DC and do both? Many people do.

If you ever want to get your skiing chops up quickly, consider doing a week with Harold Harb (ex world cup trainer), or Lito Tejada-Flores , or get hold of some of their material. Their teaching methods bypass traditional snowplow/stemturn ski tuition and go straight into the movements needed for parallel skiing and beyond. I'd love to do a week with those guys, there's even a couple of Aussies teaching Harb's methods at Blue Cow. They do Canada in the northern hemisphere winter and Oz in the mid year winter.

markie - thankyou, quite correct.

Sunrise - 50/50 isnt such a bad idea. Both have great merit in certain conditions. Ideally I would like to pick my vehicle depending on the conditions on the day.

Ocean - nope, I am happy I have been involved in boarding, but the fact is I do not find them appropriate on some snow types and would rather be on something else. Also, as I get older I am pretty sure I will swing towards skis.