Thank you George san and Izumi san for a great day hiking and riding at Kagura. Great snow and woderful untouched powder in which we could add our lines. I Met many interesting people as well on the trail. The beauty and peacefulness of the place was wonderful and really enjoyable. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Will try to post a couple of pics if they are half decent...

Not many people, it was great!

On the way up we saw a group of about 7 with a guide stopping to practice using their avalanche equipment.

There were 2 people skinning up ahead of us on the trail.

Once we reached the top there was another group of about 5 people on top of another ridge.

While having lunch, a couple of people went by.

So it was really nice and peaceful.

Apparently I was told that it can get quite crowded on the weekend though...

It was cold yesterday. -4 C at the parking lot in the am, so I suppose it must have been around -10 C up around 2000m. Snow was really nice and fluffy despite no recent snowfall there.

Today was 19 C in Tokyo, spring seems to be upon us. So snow must be getting heavier up top today.

Montoya,

your pics are great. Lack of sun did not help. It was a really fantastic day. My pics are not so good but I will venture and try to post a few later.

Did you hike today as well? Tokyo was around 20 C. If you did hike, how was the snow compared to yesterday.

Cool pics guys

Not only is it a 3 day weekend but it looks like the weather is going to clear up

Saddly my parents are coming to visit me for a week so I'm stuck cleaning my apartment and picking them up from Centrair

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
these pics are not that great but anyway...

hike up to Kagura-Niwa:
01_nise-kagura.JPG
What's up with this one.
Nothing worse than skinning up a trail after somebody has bootpacked it all up.

The trail was pretty hard-packed there that day, so no problems with slipping backwards (especially on wide splitboards)

We led for most of the climb, so we wanted to let Serreche lead for a while (who is on snowshoes btw).

Hi GoodEgg,

just realized nobody replied to you on this.

Trail head starts off the top of the highest quad chairlift (the one on the left off the top of the gondola station). As you get off the quad, you will see many signs like 'keep out' and the likes going uphill. There are a couple of 'egg' style ropeway cabins left there for people to sit in. You will probably see people kitting up.

Please do not go alone, go with somebody who knows the area, and have the proper equipment.

Have fun.

How long time did it take for you to hike to the peak after getting off the lift, Serrche and Montoya? I think Serrche described something about 1kg diet in another thread lol, so I guess it was not easy though.

No avalanche there?

Gamera, Montoya knows a lot more about the area than I do but:

I guess it depends on the snow conditions, the fitness of the person, and the equipment used.

Using snowshoes, on a soft-packed trail, not pushing too hard (time for pics, couple of breaks...) it took maybe 1h15 or 1h30, something like that. If you are skinning up, you will probably be quicker. If there is 30cm or more of fresh, if you're breaking trail... maybe 1h45 - 2h. Just guesses.

It also depends on which ridge you want to go to. We stopped on the first ridge at the top (Nakaone ?). If you want to reach the next one, probably another 30-45 mins.

Yes, it feels very healthy to climb up through the crisp cold air, with nothing but the sound of the wind around you (no J Pop, so do not forget to bring your boombox along lol.gif )!

Did not see any avalanche there, but saw some people really asking for trouble... Montoya spends many days per season there and has seen quite a few slides I believe.

Ok, I haven't been able to get to the computer for a couple of days since I got back, so I firstly want to say a big thank you to Montoya for being the local in the know on the weekend...

Also to SerreChe for knowing how to open bubbles... it woulda been a much colder lunch break outside (although I'm a little worried about that evil streak of yours... wanting to lock those other guys in) \:\)

It was good climbing with you guys, I hope to do it again sometime \:\)

So here are a few pics from Friday/Saturday, enjoy. I've got a video or two that I'll email to SJ tomorrow morning.

Montoya on Friday:

2akh2g

And again:

2akhfl

More from the hike, Montoya and SerreChe:

2akhh5

(Mostly) our lines:

2akhlt

Nice Pics Sven, and by the way, the bubble secret stays with the gang ;\)

Ok, I am a bit behind when it comes to pics and videos, but here are some pics from the first hike up Kagura a few days ago. So no Sven and his Burrito yet (sorry mate), will try to hook up the video and do that today. I am really struggling to size down these buggers... So here we go for now:

Montoya & Izumi san, Splitboarders extraordinaire!

userpic19661pic6423e6a387344b.jpg

The Hike-up (Montoya & Izumi san), note the great light conditions!

userpic26853pic7423e6a387826b.jpg

Mount Naeba in the background:

userpic1088pic8423e6a387d0bd.jpg

Kagura's very own snow monsters:

userpic27249pic9423e6a3881eab.jpg

Digging a snow pit? Now digging a lunch Pit! Yamamoto san (blue), 60 and going strong (Montoya helping).

userpic14433pic10423e6a3886ccb.jpg

Montoya riding down from Nakaone, lovely spot with not too many trees.

userpic25357pic11423e6a388baeb.jpg

Montoya riding down on the Tashiro side:

userpic9384pic12423e6a389090b.jpg