Welcome to the new Snow Japan Forums. (What's new?) [Updated 7th Sept]

• SnowJapan Admin

A bit of a request to long-time Forum members:

Please delete your main Forums bookmarks, clear cache and then bookmark the following page:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php

(if you didn't change the URL you have bookmarked, it is basically using a "forwarding script", and it would be best all round if you bookmarked the new direct address)

You might also get a nice new icon appearing in your URL window in your browser.

Thanks

Just signed in after 3 days off sick. Loads to catch up on! Looks fantastic, thanks SJ.

By the way, while everyone is updating their bookmarks, if you use the "add your own button" feature on the Yahoo toolbar you can create your very own SJ button at the top of your screen!

• SnowJapan Admin

LAYOUT:

We have made some changes to the layout of the Forums. The default is now 2 columns and you are able to turn off/on the right hand side column in My Stuff > My Preferences.

GRAEMLINS

We have added the original SJ graemlins which can now be used on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply" pages as well as in the Shout Box. You should now be able to post them by using the shortcuts you are used to as well (for example "colon and right bracket" for smiley).

In the main "Reply" form, click on the "Smilies" icon link and you will be able to just click on the Graemlin you want to use and it will appear in your form.....

You can also add these to any of your replies (Quick Reply, Reply, Shout Box) by using the following shortcuts on either:

colon right bracket

\:\)

semi-colon right bracket

;\)

colon + D

\:D

colon wave colon

wave.gif

colon lol colon

lol.gif

colon clap colon

clap.gif

colon wakaranai colon

wakaranai.gif

colon shifty colon

shifty.gif

colon sadglass colon

sadglass.gif

colon thumbsup colon

thumbsup.gif

colon thumbsdown colon

thumbsdown.gif

colon angry colon

sjangry.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

QUOTATION BOXES

We have adjusted the way quotation boxes appear in posts - they should now look generally cleaner and better laid out than before.

• SnowJapan Admin

LARGER FONTS

We have now created a new "stylesheet" for the Forums which in effect makes all the fonts/text on the Forums displayed larger.

To change the font sizes displayed, go to My Stuff and then My Preferences.

You should see an section called Your preferred stylesheet.

In that dropdown, please choose snowjapan-largerfonts.

Scroll down the page and click Submit. When you do that you should find that the fonts of all the parts of the forums are larger than before. (You can of course go back to the smaller font version at any time).

• 2 weeks later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

We've made a few small adjustments today to the display of the Forums, including making the "quote" boxes larger.

Yesterday we also split the Travel forum into two - Japan and Overseas.

Not actually part of the forums but relevant if you want to post photos - we have increased the size limit of each photo uploaded to 500KB. Photos can be uploaded from the Photo Gallery section:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_gallery.php

Thanks!

• SnowJapan Moderator

On these new Forums, that data started off as the number of posts in a thread. So basically if a thread had 23 posts/messages in it, the thread started its life on these new forums with page views set at 23.

Obviously threads like the "Snow in Japan" one actually have had literally hundreds of thousands of page views, but that data in the old forums system did not exist (well not in a format to display anyway).

\:\)

• SnowJapan Admin

We've just made a few slight changes here and there to text used on the main Forums to make things a bit easier and more obvious - for example

- in the top bar "Forum List" is now "FORUMS HOME";

- in the drop downs "My Messages" is now "My Private Messages";

- on each post the link to the main "Reply" page is labelled "Full Reply".

...and a number of other similar changes.

We have also made the reply box bigger by default.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...