I just watched an episode of CSI where they had a restaurant serving all sorts of live and exotic food including live octopus (which killed someone), spider tempura and live centipedes. It was very squirmish.

Got me to look on the web and read about what people eat.

Found this vid of a "live octopus" dish. Just check it out, I don't think I could put that in my mouth.

http://www.liaoyusheng.com/archives/food_drink/20041116_video_of_live_octopus_dish.php

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7029410084919670030

Any others?

please, kill your food before you eat it. We are not hyenas on the Serengetti here, we can mercifully kill our food before we rip into its flesh.

The old excuse is taht it 'tastes better', but i somehow fail to see how taking 2 seconds to lop off a head creates such change in taste that it is worth the suffering of the victim.

that sea cucumber tasted really awful. Dead or alive I will not be eating those things again.

Now, live prawns in a bowl of sake and then setting fire to the sake to cook the prawns; that's tastey.

Here's a recipe...

Dojo Dofu.

It's basically a nabe. You need a bunch of live dojo (small river fish), tofu, mirin, soya sauce, etc. Put the dojo into a pot of cold water and turn the heat on. Put the tofu in shortly after. The water heats up more quickly than the tofu, so the live fish seek refuge in the soft tofu. So when it's ready to eat, the tofu are infused with fish.

--A little nasty. The SJ moderators may have to edit this post. ;\)

Had live sashimi just two weeks ago.

Cleany filleted, bamboo leaves over the carcass, the sashimi over the leaves.

The tail would occasionally flap and the gills occasionally gasped for a good 20+ minutes.

I asked the fish if he could see me while I ate him.

That was only a 3500Yen night too.

(I should also mention that izikaya also served pizza, fried chicken, other fishes, tempura, etc...)

The few times I've accidentally ordered that dish I feel obliged to eat it out of guilt. At least some benefit should be derived after seeing the poor fish lose it's life in such a manner.

Yes ger if you search soy and estrogen on google you are looking at a million hits. only 120,000 for tofu and estrogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean#Soy_controversy

Phytoestrogen in men

Because of the phytoestrogen content, some studies indicate that there is a correlation between a soybean-rich diet and a decrease in the level of testosterone in men, although these findings are controversial.[30][31][32]

A study carried out at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast linked soy to male infertility, including damage of reproductive capability already caused during childhood.[33] The study also points out that "soy is not just consumed by vegetarians, it is contained in a lot of everyday processed foods."

Phytoestrogen in women

A 2001 study determined that women with current or past breast cancer should be aware of the risks of potential tumor growth when taking soy products.[34]

A 2006 study concluded that not enough information is available; the impact of isoflavones on breast tissue needs to be evaluated at the cellular level in women at high risk for breast cancer.[35]

ger, I had heard about that particular menu with the fish hiding in the tofu. It all sounds rather the opposite of appetizing to me.

• 1 month later...
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
I'm not going to watch. That explanation makes me sick.

It wasn't so bad. They edited out most of the part where the fish gets gutted. It certainly takes that twitching-fish sashimi dish a step further though....

I’m surprised at the indifference people have for cruelty. Live animals being tortured for show. If it’s food, then just kill it as humanely as possible. What’s the point in having a moving carcass on the table just because you want to show off your cooking skills / cruel nature.

Frogs are another one. They are nailed to the board and skinned alive. Sickening. I will never have frog again.

Quote:
It wasn't so bad.

Yes it was.

Anyone who enjoys that and does not feel the slightest discomfort at such things is a cold cold person. That's what I think, so there.