Just heard about this event, Live Earth. Some big names in the line up it seems. I should be in New Jersey in early July, so I might have to try and get tickets

Live Earth USA

AFI

Akon

Alicia Keys

Bon Jovi

Dave Matthews Band

Fall Out Boy

John Mayer

Kanye West

Kelly Clarkson

KT Turnstall

Ludacris

Melissa Etheridge

Rihanna

Roger Waters

Smashing Pumpkins

The Police

Live Earth UK

Beastie Boys

Black Eyed Peas

Bloc Party

Corinne Bailey Rae

Damien Rice

David Gray

Duran Duran

Foo Fighters

Genesis

James Blunt

John Legend

Keane

Madonna

Razorlight

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Snow Patrol

Fantastic lineup of bands aside, does it shit anyone else how everyone jumps on board these charity events and pretends that some good is going to come out of it?

They achieve jack all in my opinion. About the only claim they could make would be to raise public awareness of issues, and the amount of this they achieve is questionable.

Live 8 spent a shedload of money on a concert where everyone could pat themselves on the back, and then promptly forget about. I predict the same here.

No offence meant snowbender. I like music. I like conerts. I like good intentions. I just don’t think mainstream media mixes them together particularly well.

and i didn't know the pumpkins were back together?

Hmmm....

Some of those guys might be in it for ulterior motives or posing but a lot of pop musicians (like Bono and Bob Geldof) have done a lot for specific causes. I think the politicization of music and pop culture (on occasion) in the West is very positive. It stands in stark contrast to the situation in Japan, where pop culture seems confined to very trivial things with no ambition beyond making a fast buck.

...But I don't know if a mega-concert is suitable for that specific cause. Maybe it will be all unplugged, with a lot of candles. ... And the musicans will all travel to the gig by self-propelled means. (bike or yacht etc.)

People like Bono really do a lot and seem totally (too?!) sincere about it. I see U2 aren't on there though.. confused.gif

I'm sure there is some people doing it for the exposure, but not feel compelled not to be too cynical about everything.

• 2 months later...

UK looks way better.

As for the music industry actually caring about the environment, i would like to see them lwalk the talk and at the VERY LEAST, get rid of CD jewel cases and move to paper jackets.

One small record label, G7 Welcoming Committee, has actually stopped making CDs altogether, and are releasing all albums and artwork digitally in the future.

But when will the quality of downloadable mp3s rise to something like that of CDs. I downloaded a single last year for some remixes and the quality when I threw it on CD was not good at all. I still much prefer buying the disks.

Nope. Official download. 192 whatevers. Way off the sound of a CD.

Aren't all itunes downloads at 192?

What would it have to be to be exactly what we get on a CD?

truthfully i have no idea. Whenever i download, its a mix of good-sounding stuff and crap.

You would have to get one of the tech-guys to answer this one for you.

but at any rate, the record industry could stand to be a liitle more green itself.

CDs made of a recyclable plastic, perhaps?

Got it on in the background here. Some of the short films they are showing every minutes or so are actually quite interesting and informative.

I like some of those ladies in 12 Girls Band too... wish they would rock out a bit more \:\)

Quote:
Genesis are jamming and have just started on Turn It On Again. As usual, Phil Collins looks like the kind of bloke who would try and sell you second hand meat in a pub in Bermondsey.

lol.gif

I've been working with global warming theories since I was an undergrad at UEA Environmental Sciences in 1982. I'm not impressed by by a band helicoptering in to hector me about my lifestyle.

The music is rubbish too.

The quality of an mp3 depends on 2 things - how it was encoded and the bitrate. If an mp3 is properly encoded at 192kbs and higher, most human ears cannot tell the difference from a 'real' CD. You can usually find mp3 downloads at 256kbs and sometimes 320kbs on the net. However, if these were not properly processed, the sound quality could just as easily be crap.

"The Pledge"

1.To demand that my country join an international treaty within the next 2 years that cuts global warming pollution by 90% in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth;

2.To take personal action to help solve the climate crisis by reducing my own CO2 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become "carbon neutral;"

3.To fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the CO2;

4.To work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation;

5.To fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal;

6.To plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests; and,

7.To buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crisis and building a sustainable, just, and prosperous world for the 21st century.

itunes is 192.

It is not the quality of a CD and is quite noticeable.

You can I believe now pay a bit more to get the evil coding off the tracks that don't allow you to move the files and are 256.

downloads will need to generally get the same quality as cds for me to be convinced to use them.

LIVE EARTH - ok, so how many watts of electricity are they saving with those massive stages, lights, and Jumbotrons? Perhaps the best way to save the earth would be to not have the concert....

Us being all really educated and very smart, the thought of rock stars gathering to tell us how to save the world seems rather proposterous.

But, for lots of low-life peasants, the messages that were constantly being drilled into you during that broadcast (ride a bike, switch lighbulbs, recycle, those little educational animation clips etc) will very probably have brought the message home more than any politician moaning about things. The big stars have the effect of bringing in all of those uneducated smelly peasants to watch the thing.

That aspect of it all is surely not a negative thing.

Oh, no SirJib, they're "offsetting" their carbon emissions for the concert... whatever that means. And before I get flamed, I know perfectly well what it means, and it's bollocks.

scouser has a point. Despite the obvious hypocrasy of the events carbon footprint, the message they can potentially get across to many impressionable young people is possibly worth it. It is all about raising awareness in a way that still connects with people in some way. Music is one of the few things that people worldwide are still passionate about. If the music has a green message then that should have some degree of effect.

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
LIVE EARTH - ok, so how many watts of electricity are they saving with those massive stages, lights, and Jumbotrons? Perhaps the best way to save the earth would be to not have the concert....

sure, and i suppose i all the environmental organizations could stop printing and advertising the cause because it is a waste of resources.

For all the hooplah, i could be a hell of a lot worse. Sure, it may be a small step, and insignificant in itself, but i see the concerts as part of a larger movement to make environmentalism 'mainstream'.

I see it as kind of a symbol that these issues are finally being accepted as a 'norm' in the culture, rather than as some fringe movement that bitches about spotted owls and plays hackey-sack.

It is a contnuation of many small, important steps that out culture needs to make if we want to leave this rock in a livavble condition for the other life forms we share it with.

that said, most of the music sucks.