OK I have a driving question. You know those road train line crossings where you have to stop when the barriers come down for a train to pass? When the barriers goes up, who goes first? The guy in the car who was there first or the side that has the most cars or what?

I'm sure there must be an official "rule" was just wondering what it was.

I think it depends on which roads/pathes is superior there. If one of them were superior to others, drivers at other roads/pathes would see a sign like

ki_48.gif or ki_46.gif

If there's nothing, you have to see around and judge who should go first, probably better let the other go first and you go next being careful enough.

;\)

Are you talking about on a two way road?

Usually when the barriers go up, the person in the front goes first and the same one the other side. Seems too easy.. maybe I've misunderstood your question!???

I think f'dane means those xings that are 2 lanes on the approach but revert to a single lane for the actual crossing.

I've got one nearish to my place and the rule is generally;

'He/She who arrived 1st, goes 1st'

But then another rule often comes into play;

'He/She who drives the BIGGEST car, goes 1st.'

So if I'm driving the GW (global warmer 4wd) I'm always 1st, but if it's the wifes lil' Duet - it's the other BIG guy or aggression (it's not aggro, it's self belief I tell her) that wins out.

Here is what I mean:

A train line.

A small road that crosses the train line.

The road is the same width on either side of the train line, but it is narrow on the actual crossing - tight for 2 cars to pass each other in opposite directions.

The barriers go down for a train to pass.

About 3 cars arrive on each side of the train line, waiting for the barriers to go up.

The barriers go up.

Who goes first?