List of things Japanese think we don't understand, have difficulty with

Yes but if you want to prove you did the work so they cant contest it, it is best to get at least one item of something you worked on sent through registered post so you can back up your claims.

Being credited actually means more than money because it has career value.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Even if the head wants to be accommodating, it sounds like they may not have any systematic way of assigning credit when teachers make revisions so you might be in uncharted territory. Usually teachers (below the Uni level) don't give a toss about credit or publications. -So if the head is not able to give you the credit that is due, the important thing is that you retain ownership of the material -- ie. you have the right to publish it elsewhere.

Most of my colleagues have always been very helpful in encouraging teachers (below Uni), grad students, etc to publish research and material. Credit is given where it is due --which is the way it should be, but often JH or HS teachers don't seem to really care.

How about "Japan"? I have heard on more than a few occasions how "nihon wa muzukashii desu ne". (Not the language, the country as a whole and everything contained within!)

Never sure how to respond to that kind of thing.

"Keep a stiff upper lip old chap."

Isn't that a kind of British spirit? It just doesn't have the word 'spirit' in there but meaning is similar, although perhaps slightly more negative.

Not that I'm defending the UK, it sucks and thats why I left.

(16)贈り物で「つまらないものですが」と言 358; Belittling a gift before giving it 53

I'm good at that one. I do it in English even back home.

"This is really shite and boring (and very probably useless), but don't take it to heart. It's the thought that counts. And don't forget the return present."

• 2 years later...

Not that bad. Always give something back - it may be through gritted teeth but there is usually an inkling of thought behind it.

Now if one more person is Surprised with my use of chopsticks then I will poke them with them.

Don't worry mate, I can't use them properly either. lol

Me and my sister, my friend and his sister (we all grew up in London) would go out for a meal and the looks we get from the waiting staff... we even got asked if we needed a spoon which was ignored by all of us.

Quote:
List of things Japanese think we don't understand, have difficulty with

The effectiveness of the election vans going round with them shouting gambarimasu and the other 5 gloved-people waving out the windows.

We just can't understand cuz we gaijin.