I'll give you "Summer in the City"

Hot town, summer in the city

Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty

Been down, isn't it a pity

Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead

Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

Old Man River

Some song from the 1920's I can even sing it like a black man. I heard it once in a film when I was about 8 years old and never forgot it.

Also loved summer in city by Joe Cocker. It was on the first scene of a Die Hard movie.

I plan on having Imagne played at my funeral. Nobody talking just that song and probably cremation.

It was originally a hit single for the Lovin' Spoonful, in the mid-60s. It was used in a Bruce Willis Die hard film. Joe Cocker covered it amongst others, but hey, "..the original's still the greatest".

(Ten points to anyone who can identify the song that line came from and the band).

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maybe. I'll have to think of others too many to mention.

(soubs - The In Crowd, Bryan Ferry?)

Got to rush now, the footie starts in a minute. Come on Spurs!

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
Thank you for the music...The songs were singing...
No!
Thank you for the music, the songs *I'm* singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it I'm asking all honesty
What would life be without a song or dance what are we so I say thank you for the music for giving it to me.... ( If I remember right )
;\)

i'm going to go a bit obscure here, but what the hell. anyone into alt-country/folky stuff should check these out:

"give you my lovin" by mazzy star. the slightly slack guitar intro always stops me dead.

"stranger" by smog. includes my favourite song lyric "in the last town, i was worse than a stranger, i was well known"

boardbaka - comfortably numb is a freaking classic. i used to love coming home at dawn, putting some massive headphones on and listening to that song on repeat til i passed out.

there's also a good book by nick hornby called 31 songs. whether you agree with his choice of songs isn't necessarily the point, but i like his unashamed celebration of popular culture.