I have moved back onto a futon due to ease and the possiblity of moving apartments soon.

What does everyone else prefer.

I built a frame that converts my futon bed into a couch that seat 3 easily so I dont use the bed anymore. A bit more convient even though I have a large house.

If anyone is looking for a twin bed with frame shoot me an email

Frank

midnightcharger2@hotmail.com

I have a FranceBed matress. It's one of those posh ones with the NASA-type foam stuff in it. Was a present from Mrs Tarzan-in-law. \:D

Its on the floor on venting slats so it's kind of like a futon - but more comfortable \:\)

Thats why I made the futon couch. I have all my time spent in my main living room. I built a wood frame that keeps the futon off the floor by about an inch or 2. During the day the frame pivots in the middle to fold it up as a couch. At night just drop it and sleep. Was a cheap project using the cheapest wood from Watahan.

I did like using the bed last year because it was warmer on the bed then the floor in the winter. But I will be moving out of my house and relocating to a lunch box sized hachi-jo apartment. If anyone wants to see pic's of the bed just email me. I will let it go for a cheap price.

Frank

Yeah, but 2500 yen for my project was sufficient. And about 2 hours of my time. I miss tinkering in my workshop at my old house in the states so I needed somthing at the time to keep me busy and imaginative. I miss the good ol days sometimes.

If I was in the states I would pursue making my own homemade snowboards in my garage but would never attemt that kind of project in Japan due to space and time restraints. Kinda bums me at times of how life restricting Japan can be at times.

Friend of mine didn't take up his futon for 3 years. The tatami was destroyed (and black) when he left the apartment. He was very embarrassed.

Very comfortable futon for me. I try to air it out often.

I used to be great a wood work, I have made my own spinning wheel and loom. ( I sound like a granny or a quaker)

But it does cost more than you think especially as you have to buy the tools from scratch.

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
I bought a massive American bed that you can't find sheets for in Japan. Comfortable as hell - pillow top action but I have to buy my linen in the US.
You Americans........gotta have the biggest ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
 Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
I bought a massive American bed that you can't find sheets for in Japan. Comfortable as hell - pillow top action but I have to buy my linen in the US.
You Americans........gotta have the biggest ;\)
That's cause we're so damn fat! Actually, it's only a Queen size - but in my tiny bedroom, it looks massive.

Used a futon for the last 5 years or so but Im finding it too hard. I like a bed with matress rated 'hard' (which is actually softer than a futon).

I prefer bed because it's easier to get up.

If I sleep in futon, hard to get up, need something to grab lol....

Matress for the bed has to be hard one for me, soft one causes sore waists

\:\(

Had a futon since we got married. Only just changed and bought a super firm (and expensive) triple foam mattress.

I like to be able move around without fear of disturbing my partner.

good for the back too.