Nihonjin to shite umarete yokatta!

On the news just now a caster came out with the old "Nihonjin to shite umarete yokatta!" (I'm so glad to be born a Japanese!) when she was stood under a sakura tree.

I have also recently heard it at a ramen shop when someone was eating some ramen. confused.gif

Is it just me or is that just such a totally ridiculous thing to say?? Apart from the fact that in any situation to me it seems a strange thing to say (I just can't imagine saying something like that), do people who say things like that think that they are just in Japan? I don't get it.

confused.gif

it's the samurai warrior 'yamato' spirit that has been forced to be dormant. Every once in a while it pops out briefly in individuals. I'm just waiting for N. Korea to scare Japanese to the point that the warrior spirit re-ignites - watch out!

Sounds harmless. As an American I have said it frequently.

If the caster was admiring the beauty of the tree, it is one of the things that makes that person proud of the beauty of their country.

From my standpoint, when there is "something out of whack" with different cultures, Its common to think or say "man im so happy im ____________"

As my wife was Japanese she learned alot living in the U.S. but she got to see Japan from "outside the box" Some things she was willing to change in her lifestyles but other things she would not. To her it made no sense because she was from a different culture.

I can see that since the tables are turned and I live in Japan and experience the same feelings many times.

From my standpoint, when there is "something out of whack" with different cultures, Its common to think or say "man im so happy im ____________"

For me hearing that kind of comment is really cringeworthy, whatever nationality they are. Would never consider saying it.

Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
"Nihonjin to shite umarete yokatta!" (I'm so glad to be born a Japanese!) when she was stood under a sakura tree.

I have also recently heard it at a ramen shop when someone was eating some ramen. confused.gif
I think that "Nihonjin to shite umarete yokatta" part means something like " Glad to experience to see this sakura tree in bloom." (Between the lines : If I were born in other countries in other culture , probably I can not see this because not so many sakura trees are around in other countries in other culture ).
Same with ramen. I know Chinese people also have ramen culture. Please don't do hairsplitting.

I think those comments never mean anything offensive like " You don't have this kind of culture, do you?".

Hope it explains.
\:\)

I understand that gamera, but bringing my nationality into something within my own country - and talking to other brits - just wouldn't come to mind.

(Tons of sakura and plum trees where my parents live btw, more than where I live here in Japan. People don't generally sit under them and have picnics though ;\) )

I wouldn't ever think that I was lucky to have been born British but I often think to myself how lucky I am to have been brought up with English as my first language, especially when I see how much time & money non-native speakers put into learning it.

To be perfectly honest I do feel rather lucky to have been born Canadian. That's not to say no other place can compare, but the reality is most don't. I could have just as easily been born in a country that does not provide me with nearly the same privileges.

Do you go round telling other Canadians that though?

I'm never sure how to take and respond to comments like "Nihonjin to shite umarete yokatta!" I suppose it is harmless, though not the kind of thing I'd come out with.

No I don't go around telling other Canadians that, in fact I'm more likely to tell the overly zealous patriot to take a rest. I know what you mean. For me it is really more of a, "I'm so glad I wasn't born in a refugee camp," type of thing.

The stuff on the news casting is kinda harmless, but it is promoting blind nationalism. How harmless is that?

I don't think I would ever have said that kind of thing about my country, and I try to avoid these kinds of comments here. Like you said veronica, it's difficult to know how to respond to that when it is said to you (or when you are there). A so desu ne doesn't really fit!

I find it quite amusing actually. It sounds so simple to me, almost innocent of the outside world. Comments like that just sound as if they are trying to get confirmation of their beliefs from others in the group, all down to this group thing again.