It was on a news piece last night here that German autobahns (all or some??) don't have a speed limit - so people can drive just as fast as they like! I did not know that (and want to rent a fast car and go there). The reason they mentioned it was that they are discussing whether to impose limits. Really surprised me the fact that there were none. Some of the Germans they interviewed were none too impressed with the thought of having to slow down!

What are the limits in Japan?

Everyone talks about the autobahn, but whenever I’ve been driving in Germany I’ve never really noticed people driving particularly fast. It’s just like driving on any motorway, with several lanes of assorted traffic, so I guess in the interests of safety, people in fast cars can’t really whip around at 150kmh +.

In Oz they are speed camera crazy. They’ve really cracked down on speeding, to the point of stupidity. In WA, I think you can get a fine if you’re as little as 3kmh over the limit?? How on earth are you supposed to monitor your speed to that degree??

:rolleyes:

Anything from 40 to 100 kph.

The story in Germany is that some sections of some autobahns are unrestricted some of the time. And yes, I've been overtaken by turbo-nutter bastards doing 150mph+

I've also been done for speeding on the autobahn. I was driving an artic tractor unit back to London, having dropped the trailer in Frankfurt. They had a 40kph speed limit on a steep descent, and I was blasting down the outside lane. Oops. That'll be 50 marks sir, and have a safe journey, the policeman said with a smile.

BOC,

Here in Japan, you go 60km's on the highways! and 80 on some.

If you go past the speed cameras then you should try to be no more than 19km over the limit to be safe.

In OZ it's 2-3km allowance. Farking blatant money grabbing..

I ve passed under a camera in Japan going 140+ and nothing happened. I guess I was lucky that day.

Do you guys know about the gadget that you install in your car and warns you if there are cameras or radars ahead?

The limit for the highway in Japan is 100 km/h, unless they have the electronic signs on to drop it down to 80. I was told by J-friends that you can go up to 120 and not have problems with the cameras etc. Crossing the 120 limit and you will most probably end up with a speeding ticket.

A fast driving Japanese friend says he knows when the cameras are on - apparently they are only on at certain times. He also has a film over his number plate that prevents the camera from reading it. He also has a radar detector but he still manages to get pulled over by unmarked cars and has almost enough points to lose his license.

I commute regularly on the same highway route and I know where to slow down so I have never had a ticket...I don't drive as fast as he does though.

Its also common knowledge (or urban legend) among drivers here that it is OK to speed when its raining because the police will not pull you over in the rain. In many years of driving here, I don't recall ever seeing anyone stopped when its raining.

100km? Which highway is that Tsonda?

Tomei is 80km's max. Haven't ever seen a 100km yet!

Those radars aren't that accurate, best is to know the highway patrol cars and stealth. Some people are just so dumb that they drive fast and don't even look around them for old crowns and skylines!

Best warning for the cameras are the BLUE signs before them! 1-2km before and have saved my ass a few times!

frannyo, I am pretty sure I have seen 50km on the Kanetsu in our area - on a fixed sign (not a temporary flashing one). I'll have to take more notice of where. There are definitely 80km limit areas though.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:

Maybe in the Kansai area, near Tokyo is 100.

I ll look for the blue signs next time. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup.gif
In Aichi.. So less cars than Tokyo so you think it's be the otherway around!

Hows the electronic signs that change from 80km to 50km just because it rains!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:

Maybe in the Kansai area, near Tokyo is 100.

I ll look for the blue signs next time. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup.gif
In Aichi.. So less cars than Tokyo so you think it's be the otherway around!

Hows the electronic signs that change from 80km to 50km just because it rains!
Or because it snows, strong wind etc.
I think in some flat, straight sections, usually the limit is 100kms/h but if it's steep hills, curve, bad visibility, crowded etc, it could be 80kms/h.

Wow they are low numbers - almost as surprising as the German autobahn thing. 50kmh on a toll expressway? Thats like just over 30mph, the limit in the small village my folks live in! eek.gif