Does anyone here still use floppy disks. My new machine doesn't even have a floppy drive and I have lots of old discs with mostly unused data on them but I'm wondering what to do with them. Spend a long long time going through them on my old PC and putting the data I want on CD/DVD or just bin the lot in an act of frustration.

Many retailers aren't selling them now. I wonder when it will be that you cant really find a player or use them at all.

Glad to see the back of them myself. I remember once saving some rather valuable data on one, my pc crashing and the data being unrecoverable and on top of that the floppy not working. Arrrgh.

I used to have a (Iomega) Zip disc drive as well that used discs that were like really big floppys. They didn't really catch on, but I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

I have been cleaning out today and came across a huge box of floppies dating back to 1996. It will be interesting (if not time consuming) to see what gems I find on there. Hey they were good when it was their day.

Sounds like a nightmare to me!

I remember those Zip (and Jaz?) drives, pie-eater. I thought it was a really good idea at the time - one great big huge floppy. I suppose CD came along and made that obselete quite quickly.

The USB flash memory drives have made them totally redundant. I don't miss them. I threw them all out recently, not sure if anything useful was on them, and it's been so long since I used one, I didn't care...

• 3 years later...

Sony has signalled what could be the final end of the venerable floppy disk.

The electronics giant has said it will stop selling the 30-year-old storage media in Japan from March 2011.

Earlier this year Sony stopped selling the disks in most international markets due to dwindling demand and competition from other storage formats.

Quote:
A popular misconception about "Blue Monday" holds that the single's die-cut sleeve, created by Factory designer Peter Saville, cost so much to produce that Factory Records actually lost money on each copy sold. It is unlikely that Factory Records could have sustained the losses implied, and the sleeve was soon changed to a similar non-die-cut design that would cost no more than a regular sleeve. It is, however, probably true that New Order saw little profit from the single's success, since an investment in the Haçienda nightclub swallowed much of the money they made from their hit.

Another notable feature of the sleeve is that it does not display either the group name nor song title in plain English anywhere. Instead the legend "FAC 73 BLUE MONDAY AND THE BEACH NEW ORDER" is represented in code by a series of coloured blocks. The key enabling this to be deciphered was printed on the back sleeve of the album, Power, Corruption & Lies. "Blue Monday" is one of three New Order releases from this time period to employ the colour code. The sleeve's spine simply reads "FAC SEVENTY THREE".