EU to turn off inefficient lighting

Can't be a bad thing:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/10/all-of-eu-to-switch-off-energy-inefficient-lights-within-three-y/

"Following on from Australia's pledge to phase out the usage of incandescent bulbs, the 27 leaders of the European Union have decided that all member states will have to use energy efficient lighting before 2010. The switchover, which will affect all of the EU's 470 million+ citizens, was developed with the aim of meeting targets to reduce energy usage by 20 percent by 2020 (say that three times fast): to that end, a commission will be accepting proposals for enabling the switchover "for office and street lighting to be adopted by 2008 and on incandescent lamps and other forms of lighting in private households by 2009." No doubt there will be some that attempt to lump this decision into the euroskeptic "straight bananas" category, although the chair of the 27 nation summit, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, stated that this won't be a case of people being forced to throw out existing energy inefficient bulbs, "but people should start looking at what's in the shops." Hopefully anti-EU political groups will put their views aside this time in order that this switchover goes smoothly, although something tells us lobbyists won't be the biggest concern when it comes to changing bulbs in houses and offices across 27 different countries."

They sure would save a lot if they did that here as well. Perhaps just the vending machines?

Are you crazy!? :p I love my vending machines, they don't necessarily have to be lit though, just on, depending on how much light there is at the location. All those super bright combinis and train stations can be made dimmer, but that's a bum/loitering deterrent..

I couldn't understand the need for 5 vending machines outside the 24hour convenience store when I was in Japan. Whats with that?

Long lasting energy efficient lightbulbs sounds good to me. In fact I already have a lot in my house.

Places like that actually give me a headache. I want to wear my sunglasses.

Some of my Japanese friends houses are the same actually. I really prefer some strategically placed subtle lighting in a living room, but they have in your face ott fluros all over the place.

I wonder who actually owns some of the vending machines. Like the one on a country lane in the middle of nowhere. Or the ones you mention 2pints outside the conbini - does the combini own them?

There's one about 20m from my house and it makes a right racket. A loud humming noise that can be heard (almost) from where I am, I think I'm just out of range of it. I've a good mind to go and unplug the thing.