Got an email today,

"I appreciate you for good effort.

Moreover, I am surprised at your broad knowledge and good understanding."

Was that really a compliment? I read it as,

"I'm utterly flabbergasted that you do indeed know what you are doing. I thought you were stupid."

I suppose it's the same as the old Nihingo jousu comments.

Oh yes I have heard comments like that. And in some cases I have asked them to explain and they weren't being insulting. (Or so they said!)

Try not to read into it too much. Must be just a way of saying things.

Oh my, then when people say Eigo jouzu comments, is that something like

Quote:
"I'm utterly flabbergasted that you do indeed know what you are doing. I thought you were stupid."
??

I hope it's not lol lol.gif \:D ;\)

Don't worry about it me jane. I've had that before. If you get on with the person well, you might be able to tell them how it came across!

It might have been no more than a greeting. You know--most people say "Hello" or "goodbye" or "Long time no see". But other's say:

"I appreciate you for good effort. Moreover, I am surprised at your broad knowledge and good understanding."

Quote:
Originally posted by orinoco:
I wonder how your efforts compare to your chopstick using skills? ;\) Sometimes it is really hard to know how to respond to comments like that, don't you think?
Wow, you know how to use a knife and fork really well!!!??
always works!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by orinoco:
I wonder how your efforts compare to your chopstick using skills? ;\) Sometimes it is really hard to know how to respond to comments like that, don't you think?
Wow, you know how to use a knife and fork really well!!!??
always works!
Sure it works, in a retaliatory offensive. Was the goal of the complimentor to make you feel bad? Was he/she being condescending or sarcastic? Probably not. That reply works in the sense that it stops the compliment and leaves the japanese person feeling like crap for trying to find something nice to say. If you run into such a blatant attempt to make conversation, perhaps you need to work on your conversation skills.

(sorry Indosm, I'm in a pissy mood and am just fighting the keyboard for reasons beyond my linguistic futilities.) if that's even a word.

I just got given a 'oooo sugoi' by some girl because I filled up my water bottle at the water machine in the staff kitchen.

I actually like her and didnt want to be mean, but it was just so ridiculous I couldn't stop myself from pulling a 'what are you on, love?' face.

I was talking about the same thing to another friend and she said that a better translation from the Japanese would be "impressed" rather than "surprised". Still like Samurai said, he was probably trying to be nice just like the chopsticks ones, so it's difficult to answer back.

Bobby 12, I wish I knew how to fill up a water bottle. You must be really clever. :p

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
I just got given a 'oooo sugoi' by some girl because I filled up my water bottle at the water machine in the staff kitchen.
Hum...Bobby I think I got lost.
Why is that "sugoi" ?
wakaranai.gif

I dont know, you tell me! The water comes out of the machine real slow (it does tea/coffee and hot/pure water) so it takes about 30 secs. She was watching and at the end said sugoi and started clapping. She was just being nice, but it was a bit freaky.

Quote:

I actually like her and didnt want to be mean, but it was just so ridiculous I couldn't stop myself from pulling a 'what are you on, love?' face.
I have got some impressed "sugoi"s for:

- making coffee for people in the office;
- washing my coffee cup at the end of the day;
- saying "yoroshiku onegai shimasu".

I think we must just do things in an utterly impressive manner - we just don't realise!