Japan makes a lot more sense when you realize that it's an Asian country underneath all the modern western trappings (probably similar thing can be said about Korea now too).

Anyways, it's practically impossible to kick out a tenant in Japan once he moves in, barring something like half year of back rent. Which partially explains why landlords get overly zealous when choosing tenants.

Certain jobs get screened out by some landlords and agents as well. But if they don't want to bother with a more precise screening process for a potential tenant, that's their loss (but they probably think it's a gain).

Unfortunately it is pretty common not only in Greece but in most of the old 12 EU countries. The collapse of the Eastern block brought a tidal wave of immigrants (legal or not) looking for a better future in the developed parts of EU.

Back home for example being an Albanian/Roumanian/Boulgarian would mean that no-one would rent you his place, unless it is a shit hole that no Greeks would wanna live there anyway. That said, I am NOT proud about it NOR I encourage this kind of discrimination.

An other good example is the recent riots in the poorest suburbs of Parish last year. If you wanna understand what sparked them, check the movie by Mathieu Kassovitz called La Haine (Hate in English).By some called a prophetic movie, I think it has influenced my way of thinking in many ways.

While I find it very annoying that such things exist, I don't think I'd want to live in a place that is not welcoming.

My landlord is actually really cool and brings me vegetables quite often. I get special treatment (in a good way). \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
 Quote:
75K for a 3LDK
That does not sound like something to moan about... there's a lot of people paying a lot more.
not really ranting about the rent...more that I feel Im being forced into that place rather than being able to live in a smaller/cheaper place which would also be more convenient to restaurants, supermarket, shops, etc. My current option is quite close to school...maybe a 15 minute walk which is nice.

I pay 2man more now for about the same size (anybody else in my apartment would be paying and additional 3man a month).

Funny thing is, the other 2 places were much older and crappier looking than this. Just irritated that you cant get into a place cuz of your race :rolleyes: :thefinger:

I hate racism mad.gif

Is this a widespread problem you think?

I have only limited experience - twice - but on those occasions I (seem to) have been very welcome and never felt any resistance at all. I suppose it will of course depend on who you are dealing with, perhaps I was lucky.

Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
While I find it very annoying that such things exist, I don't think I'd want to live in a place that is not welcoming.

My landlord is actually really cool and brings me vegetables quite often. I get special treatment (in a good way). \:\)
I'm in a deal like you muikabochi..
I also wouldn't want to staty where I wasn't welcome.

Might sometimes come down to how you look like, so if you look like CB it'd probably hard to get into even the crappiest place :p