Grand Canyon - skywalker!

I've always wanted to go and am actually planning for the summer when I'll be meeting family over there.

Came across this - whooooaah looks pretty wild.

medium_391477693_9413dd9652_o.jpg

medium_391477714_95775ae961_o.gif

The Grand Canyon Skywalk (36º 00' N, 113º 49' W) is a tourist attraction, commissioned by the Hualapai, under construction along the Colorado River on the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Upon completion, the glass bridge will be suspended 3,800 feet above the canyon, a height that eclipses the world's largest skyscrapers.[1] The bridge's walls and floor will be of clear glass of 4 inch thickness. The horseshoe shaped bridge will protrude 65 feet from the edge of the canyon. The Skywalk will be able to hold 70 tons of weight, allowing for 800 people weighing 175 lbs. each to stand on the bridge. The allowed capacity will be limited to only 120 persons. All visitors will be provided with shoe covers to protect them from slipping and to prevent scratching of the glass floor.

In addition to tuned mass dampers used to minimize vibration from wind and pedestrians, the bridge will be built to withstand extremely high winds and earthquakes. The glass bridge construction of the Skywalk began March of 2004. It will be rolled onto the edge of the canyon between February 27 and March 2, 2007 after passing several days of final testing to replicate weather, strength and endurance conditions of its final destination. The Skywalk will open to the public on March 28, 2007.

I have always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, but never made it yet. My friend recommended the helicopter flights you can get as the best way to see (at least part of) it. Any other recommendations? This new skywalk things look like it would be a fun experience, but rather limited.

Pack in a ways from the Arizona side! Awesome experience! If I ever get all my negs scanned in I'll put some shots up on the web. Some just drop-dead gorgeous rock formations, colors, and lighting. And packing, you are there - submerged and living in it.

Some really kewl wildlife to mess with too.