OK. Since it seems like SJ is splitting into various clubs or factions ((the 'jogging club', the 'horny little boys club' the 'hakuba-rocks-and-you-suck club', the 'my-life-sucks-coz-I-don't-live-in-the-snow club', the 'brokeback mountain dude ranch...' .....)), I thought I'd start another club: ROCK BAND. (It doesn't have to be 'rock' at all, but ...."ROCK BAND" has got a good ring.) So, Sunrise sings and plays, Farquah and AK77 have guitars. Who else plays? Myself.... I played guitar in a rock band, gigging about once a month, usually in crappy bars in Kochi for two or three years. Half the members in the band were always gaijin and as soon as the band would start to get pretty good, one of the key members would go home. The band shrunk to three or four people and then disolved when I moved to Tokushima almost two years ago. I've done a couple of gigs recently as a guest in other bands. Really good fun.

So who's in? Don't worry, you can be a member of more than one club at a time. I am.

Do you play, Gamera? No one is close to my location. Well, there's someone in Takamatsu I think. Maybe Snowbee (?). Actually Kansai's not that far either. But I'm just wondering who out there plays music and what kind..

Nice kit Indosnm. I'd love to have a go on a kit like that.

When I was younger I used to play the trumpet and was in a jazz band for a while. A not very good jazz band but we had some fun times.

nice thread- I@m musically inept but I love to listen !-I love the drums Indo! On Wednesday night I met Danny Carey from the band TOOL @ a bar in Tokyo@s roppongi district-I@ve always liked there music but was surprised when my bro proclaimed he is up there if not the best hard rock drummer in the World! And I got on the guest listo to the concert Mon. in Kawasaki! \:D

I grew up the son of a drummer. My dad played with Steve Miller among many others. He tried to teach me but sports faded out that endeavor. my Father's last trap set looks alot like yours Indo...black pearls. I'm now trying to become an ukulele player. It's a lot of fun!

My old man was a drummer too, thats why I went the drums rather than guitar. ( masters apprentices, turn up your radio)

I grew up around percussion too, Sirjibs, since I was a grom but I don't really consider myself a drummer till I started taking lessons. Thank god my music teacher changed from the formal boring guy to the eccentric Femmes, Cure, Hendrix loving teacher that influenced us so much.

In played in rock bands, metals bands, jazz bands, studio ensembles... you name it , I played in it and sang in a choir as well! Counting the days till I can get back on the Pearl's.

ps. How's this for chance. One of my privates companies that I teach are the paint supplier for Pearl! Trying to get a good price on a new kit!

I never have or never would consider myself a `musician` as such. but i`ve managed to put together a two piece with a japanese drummer. we`ve been playing for just over two years now! can hardly believe it!!

he plays in two other `rock out` bands so we hardly get a chance to practice. we`re at the point now where we can just rock up to a gig and play. our schedules are just that we cant find/make time.

we`re drum and accoustic guitar. i play guitar and sing(not well) and he plays a sanere(sp) and high-hat with tamborine attached. we play `easy-going` tunes- Jack Johnson, Donovan, Oasis, Jet, Greenday, Lars, Weezer, Nirvana, You Am I...

we probly played on average once a month over two years. but there have been times where it felt like that was my life. last dec. we played three times and this jan. we played twice. we dont get paid as such.ie: we get our beers for free. playing is always a buzz and i`m constantly impressed by the turnout and support we get. peeps came to see us on a freezing cold dec. Sunday night at a local bar which normally seats 25, but there were 50 plus squeezed in!

would never consider myself a `muso`, but if i had me time again, i sure would like to give it a go!

I played drums in a band in the early 90's in Perth. We played the Big Day Out in 95 with Ministry, The Cult and a heap of other bands which was cool, also played some other great gigs in Perth supporting international bands and playing at other festivals.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
My old man was a drummer too, thats why I went the drums rather than guitar. ( masters apprentices, turn up your radio)
I grew up around percussion too, Sirjibs, since I was a grom but I don't really consider myself a drummer till I started taking lessons. Thank god my music teacher changed from the formal boring guy to the eccentric Femmes, Cure, Hendrix loving teacher that influenced us so much.
In played in rock bands, metals bands, jazz bands, studio ensembles... you name it , I played in it and sang in a choir as well! Counting the days till I can get back on the Pearl's.

ps. How's this for chance. One of my privates companies that I teach are the paint supplier for Pearl! Trying to get a good price on a new kit!
My dad was also a drummer (are we seeing a patern here?) He still rocks the set much better than I do, but my years in HS and College marching percussion gave me some mean chops to stick just about any rudement, roll, etc. I miss playing, been thinking about a set of 'v-drums' for the apt.

Seems like people who play the drums or base can get gigs if you put out the word. Every guitarist is looking for a drummer and if you turn over a rock, you'll find three good guitarists. If you're a guitarist it's a little harder cause every band has already got probably two lead guitarists and another rhythm guitarist who wants to play lead and a basist who is actually a lead guitarist but has to play base coz no one else wants to.

Actually, I just realized that band I described above with all the guitarists is actually my old band! ......And we had a lead shakuhachi player too who tended to get drowned out a lot!!! Poor guy! lol.gif