Electric Razors - advice please

I've been using gillette razors for most of my life but it's been really getting to me how every year they have a new model with even more blades that costs even more. I am completely satisfied with my 3-blade one but you can't get the regular blades anymore, only the super ultra ones with aloe vera blah blah blah which cost more. Recently I misplaced my razor handle for a day and couldn't shave so I went to the store to look for a possible upgrade. I decided I don't need one with a battery or with 5 blades and got so fed up that I started looking at electric razors. I figure that if I can find an electric one that shaves as close as a blade then I will save money and get out of gillettes annoying 'force the consumer to buy extras he doesn't need' game.

Anybody use an electric razor?

Kumapix I am in the exact same situation, but even with these new blades, I get a pretty shitty shave. I actually have that battery one that shakes, its pretty useless. Apparently there is going to be a new kind of shaver that uses light(a bit like laser hair removal) but only lasts 3 weeks.

http://www.newscientisttech.com/channel/tech/dn10772-invention-razor-light.html

Yes, the whole situation shits me too. When that aloe vera strip gets wet it feels like sliding snot across your face.

Go with the cut-throat and strop - that way you can kill two birds with one stone (pun intended)

1. Shave with a single scapel sharp blade that you sharpen yourself.

2. Have a handy utility piece with which to flail errant children.

Ah, the good old days will return! Let Gilette concentrate on what they seems to view as more important - shit aftershave and motor GP's.

I hate electric razors too and shaving in general for that matter. Thats why I have a beard. Its so convenient to only have to shave my neck 1-2 times/week \:D

Kuma, why not have yer parents send you a care-package? I get my pops to send razors, deodorant, shaving gel, meds and the likes once every year or two...or three or four... lol.gif

Surely with everything you order they could slip some razors in the box somewhere - I might even have extras I could give ya.

or you could do it yourself buy ordering the shit you need from an online pharmacy from overseas. I do that for stuff from Australia. Saves mum and dad the pain in the arse of having to buy the shit and post it to me.

I got one from Tokyu hands that accepts regular razor blades. You can buy a pack of 10 from a 100en shops and put them in.

This kind of razorblade:

Double_Edge_Razor_Blade.jpg

If you change the blade twice a week you get a decent shave. Not as good as a double razor but I think this is better value.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Kuma, why not have yer parents send you a care-package? I get my pops to send razors, deodorant, shaving gel, meds and the likes once every year or two...or three or four... lol.gif
This is classic!
Check out your local Sugiyama or something. They even sell Razors and shaving gel too! Deodorant nada..
 Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
Dave Barry summarizes shaving history here . At the time the article was written they were only up to four blades.
Proof only than man evolved from salamanders!

But I've known that all my life so no news there! wave.gif

Gillette thinks we're f***ing morons!!! But they're marketing experts! They know what they're doing. They've done the research and they're the most successful razor blade company out there. I wonder what the transcription of one of their focus groups looks like... ...

Dr. Gillette: What do you think of this one guys? It has five blades.

Participant A: Get the f*** out of here!

Participant B: Kick ass!

Participant C: Doooode... That thing's a f****ing babe magnet!

Dr. Gillette: It also features an ergonometric handle with a grade-A asto-plastique core and a three-ply steam-sealed gortex outer.

Participant D: I don't see how that will affect the quality of my morning shave.

Participant C: Who the f*** is this guy!?

Participant A: What a fag!

Quote:
When I use an electric one, my neck looks as red as monkey's butts
lol.gif

I only ever tried an eleccy one once - just after college, it was a present. It really did not suit me. Not sure about monkeys bottoms, but it sure didn't suit my delicate and lovely neck skin. I quickly went back to the razors and haven't tried on since.

I wonder what the % of blades vs eleccy is?

I went electric several years ago - at first I didn't like it, couldn't get as close as a blade shave. But after a while you face gets used to it and it's not so bad. I use it strictly for convienece and because I'm a lazy fat bastard. Blade shave takes 5~10 min, electric - 1~2 min.

I use this shaver from National/Panasonic

http://www.denkiya.co.jp/goods/biyou/national/na-es7005-s.html

Works reasonably well - they advertsise it as wet/dry - I've never had a reasonable 'wet' shave from any electric razor - I use it dry, works like a champ.

For travelling, I use this model:

http://www.denkiya.co.jp/goods/biyou/national/na-es3701p-k.html

Doesn't work as well as my home one, but it runs in both 220/110 and is comapact for travel. I also carry some blades in case I need a closer shave - but again, i'm lazy.