Does your mother tongue settle how your voice sounds?

Recently I have noticed that people tend to have some certain way how their voice sound depends on their mother tongues. E.g. people whose mother tongue are English tend to have this kind of voice, people whose mother tongue are Chinese tend to have that kind of voice. Maybe I am unique to talk about this but am I alone there?

Or does it depends on the circumstances where they live?

:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
I guess that words in danish like "Angstskrig"
with 7 consonants shapes my voice
Uhh only 2 vowels in that long word?
I am not sure if I can pronounce that word correctly or not, Thundy.

Quote:
I speak in the same tone whatever the language.
I know, I do the same. What I was asking is I wonder if the way to pronounce words of our mother tongue controls how your voice sounds.

Errrr probably this is very tough for me to explain in English \:\( Gimme some more time to get better explanation.
\:\(

I think I know what you are getting at Gam. YellowSnow I don't think he's referring to accent. That's more to do with the way you speak based on where you grew up, and varies even within a language. Maybe he means more along the lines of how the tones and way our vocal chords work, can influence how we produce sounds in other languages. Gam, the words we say when we are very young does in fact shape the roof of our mouth. So different languages will produce different shaped mouths. So I guess it could be the same for vocal chords. Different emphasis on different sounds may well produce different physical characteristics for vocal chords in young children. Other factors might include how nasal certain languages naturally are, how open mouthed they are, etc. These things will naturally produce different tones and sounds which in general might be common to a certain language group.

Yellowsnow, I don't talk about accent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:

Maybe he means more along the lines of how the tones and way our vocal chords work, can influence how we produce sounds in other languages. Gam, the words we say when we are very young does in fact shape the roof of our mouth. So different languages will produce different shaped mouths. So I guess it could be the same for vocal chords. Different emphasis on different sounds may well produce different physical characteristics for vocal chords in young children.

Bushpig explained things much nicer on behalf of me.

\:\)

I think I know what he means too. It's like the shape, timber, or tonal quality. I've noticed that too but it doesn't seem to follow any hard rules. Nor am I sure it can be adiquately discribed for discussion or study.

Interesting to know that someone else has noticed such a thing. I thought I was the only one to spend time with such thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...